Council spy’ cameras nab 700 East End suspects for cops
TOWN hall street cameras led to more than 700 suspects getting their collar felt in London’s East End in the past 12 months, according to latest local authority figures. CCTV operators at Tower Hamlets clocked up nearly two arrests a day throughout 2009
TOWN hall street cameras led to more than 700 suspects getting their collar felt in London’s East End in the past 12 months, according to latest local authority figures released today.
CCTV operators at Tower Hamlets council’s monitoring centre on the Isle of Dogs clocked up 709 arrests throughout 2009, nearly two a day.
The biggest number involved assault, 155 in all, while 91 were for public order and affray, 72 for robbery and 68 for criminal damage. The figures include 51 suspects nabbed through automatic car number plate recognition, 21 involving stolen vehicles.
Tower Hamlets council’s environment Lead Member Abdal Ullah said: “I’m pleased to see CCTV working. Crime rates are falling, but we know much more needs to be done.”
You may also want to watch:
Operators alert police if they spot what they believe to be criminal activity and direct them to suspects by keeping watch on camera.
The control room opened in 2006 works 24 hours-a-day with 280 street cameras, 70 on direct view’ at any one time. Operators monitor neighbourhood by neighbourhood, but some problem areas’ are monitored more closely than others.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 8 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 9 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe
- 10 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United