Council spy’ cameras nab 700 East End suspects for cops
TOWN hall street cameras led to more than 700 suspects getting their collar felt in London’s East End in the past 12 months, according to latest local authority figures. CCTV operators at Tower Hamlets clocked up nearly two arrests a day throughout 2009
TOWN hall street cameras led to more than 700 suspects getting their collar felt in London’s East End in the past 12 months, according to latest local authority figures released today.
CCTV operators at Tower Hamlets council’s monitoring centre on the Isle of Dogs clocked up 709 arrests throughout 2009, nearly two a day.
The biggest number involved assault, 155 in all, while 91 were for public order and affray, 72 for robbery and 68 for criminal damage. The figures include 51 suspects nabbed through automatic car number plate recognition, 21 involving stolen vehicles.
Tower Hamlets council’s environment Lead Member Abdal Ullah said: “I’m pleased to see CCTV working. Crime rates are falling, but we know much more needs to be done.”
You may also want to watch:
Operators alert police if they spot what they believe to be criminal activity and direct them to suspects by keeping watch on camera.
The control room opened in 2006 works 24 hours-a-day with 280 street cameras, 70 on direct view’ at any one time. Operators monitor neighbourhood by neighbourhood, but some problem areas’ are monitored more closely than others.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 5 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 6 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 7 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges