Council spy’ cameras nab 700 East End suspects for cops
TOWN hall street cameras led to more than 700 suspects getting their collar felt in London’s East End in the past 12 months, according to latest local authority figures. CCTV operators at Tower Hamlets clocked up nearly two arrests a day throughout 2009
TOWN hall street cameras led to more than 700 suspects getting their collar felt in London’s East End in the past 12 months, according to latest local authority figures released today.
CCTV operators at Tower Hamlets council’s monitoring centre on the Isle of Dogs clocked up 709 arrests throughout 2009, nearly two a day.
The biggest number involved assault, 155 in all, while 91 were for public order and affray, 72 for robbery and 68 for criminal damage. The figures include 51 suspects nabbed through automatic car number plate recognition, 21 involving stolen vehicles.
Tower Hamlets council’s environment Lead Member Abdal Ullah said: “I’m pleased to see CCTV working. Crime rates are falling, but we know much more needs to be done.”
You may also want to watch:
Operators alert police if they spot what they believe to be criminal activity and direct them to suspects by keeping watch on camera.
The control room opened in 2006 works 24 hours-a-day with 280 street cameras, 70 on direct view’ at any one time. Operators monitor neighbourhood by neighbourhood, but some problem areas’ are monitored more closely than others.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 7 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 8 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 9 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park