Coverage of our peaceful demo was misleading and distorted
Dear Ed, THE wide range of groups and individuals who came together at a meeting on July 20 to form United East End agreed that we should write to the East London Advertiser about its coverage of our peaceful demonstration on June 20. We feel the paper gave a misleading and distorted version of events
THE wide range of groups and individuals who came together at a meeting on July 20 to form United East End agreed that we should write to the East London Advertiser about its coverage of our peaceful demonstration on June 20.
We feel the paper gave a misleading and distorted version of events. In particular the headline 'Hate Back on Our Streets' and the use of several photographs depicting the confrontation gave an unbalanced account and suggested a level of policing and violence that did not take place.
We acknowledge that the actual reports were more accurate reflections of the day, but the lurid images could have given the wrong impression to the casual reader.
You may also want to watch:
We are not ignoring the fact that there were some problems, particularly at the end of the demonstration, but as the paper and the police both acknowledge, the overwhelming majority of people behaved impeccably.
We understand the need to sell newspapers, but given the sensitivity of this issue for our community, of which the Advertiser is part, we had hoped for a less sensationalist approach, something we emphasised at several press conferences that your staff attended.
- 1 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 2 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 3 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 4 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 5 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 6 Fast broadband deal is signed for thousands of East End homes
- 7 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 8 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 9 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 10 Hundreds of boilers break down in the East End during pandemic
United East End has committed itself to continuing to campaign against racism and fascism, while celebrating the diversity of our community.
United East End