Coronavirus: Updates on cases in east London
- Credit: PA
Tower Hamlets now has eight confirmed cases of Covid-19 and Barking and Dagenham has five.
But figures for neighbouring boroughs have stayed the same.
As of this morning, Sunday, March 15, there have been just two positive tests in Havering, one in Redbridge and one in Newham.
The UK has 1,140 confirmed cases (925 in England). Sadly, 21 people in the UK have died.
Health secretary Matt Hancock has told Sky's Sophy Ridge On Sunday elderly people will be asked to self-isolate for up to four months, as the UK escalates its fight against coronavirus.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Hancock said it is a 'very big ask', but it is a measure which is for their own 'self-protection'.
Asked if that was in the government's plan, he said: 'That is in the action plan, yes, and we will be setting it out with more detail when it is the right time to do so, because we absolutely appreciate that it is a very big ask of the elderly and the vulnerable, and it's for their own self-protection.'
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 6 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
Pressed on when the measure will be introduced, he said: 'Certainly in the coming weeks, absolutely.'
He added: 'The measures that we're taking, the measures that we're looking at taking, are very, very significant and they will disrupt the ordinary lives of almost everybody in the country in order to tackle this virus.'