Covid NHS heroes get freebie stays at east London hotels as a ‘thank you’ for their lost weekends
- Credit: Point A Hotels
Hundreds of frontline NHS staff and their families got freebie City break weekend in hotels as a thank you for what they’ve been doing in the battle against Covid 19.
Two hotels in east London took part in the “NHS Weekend of Thanks” over the bank holiday at Canary Wharf and Shoreditch among nine in the Point A Hotel chain.
The weekend was organised in response to research that found one-in-seven frontline workers had no downtime at the height of the pandemic.
“Such sacrifice made us determined to give something back,” the hotel chain’s managing director Nic Wenn said. “It was a ‘no brainer’ to welcome them.
“These healthcare heroes have forgone their normal lives to help others.”
You may also want to watch:
Some 280 NHS personnel and their families were given a break, with local businesses joining in and offering discounts. Other NHS workers get their complimentary stay later this month.
The impact of the pandemic among NHS workers stripped them of downtime with a “negative affect on family life”, the research found. A 58 per cent spike in anxiety and 54pc rise in stress levels came to light, with one-in-five not even having a chance to celebrate their own birthday.
- 1 Jailed: East End county lines dealers who peddled heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Tideway super sewer arrives at Tower Bridge ready to bore east London
- 3 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 4 Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules
- 5 Leyton Orient announce Embleton exit
- 6 Thugs attack each other with bottles of wine in supermarket mass brawl
- 7 Fear of mental health crisis as loneliness rises among disabled
- 8 East Ham man raped woman with his friend in Wapping park 23 years ago
- 9 Flower markets appeal to be allowed to open in time for Mother's Day
- 10 Cigarette sparks fire in Poplar block of flats