Crackdown on East End bus crime leads to eight arrests
EIGHT people were arrested, including one for possession of a gun, when police cracked down on crime on public transport last week. Around 130 officers from Tower Hamlets police s safer transport team and council workers took part in high-visibility and c
EIGHT people were arrested, including one for possession of a gun, when police cracked down on crime on public transport last week.
Around 130 officers from Tower Hamlets police's safer transport team and council workers took part in high-visibility and covert patrols to tackle crime and antisocial behaviour on the buses around the East End last Thursday.
They concentrated on the stretch of the A11 along Bow Road, Mile End Road, Whitechapel Road and Whitechapel High Street and there was a community safety bus parked on Grove Road near Mile End Tube station where officers were on hand to give out crime prevention advice and answer any questions.
Officers travelled on bus routes and explained to passengers how to help reduce the opportunities for pickpockets.
They also used blue-tooth technology text safety messages to people on buses.
Insp Myles Allen , Tower Hamlets Safer Transport said: "We have worked to identify and arrest offenders, prosecute those people who try to avoid paying their fare and reassure passengers that public transport in Tower Hamlets is a good and safe way to travel."
- 1 Woman treated at scene as 40 firefighters called to Bow tower block
- 2 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 3 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 4 8 charged after drugs raids in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Council rapped by ombudsman after not following safeguarding procedures
- 6 Census 2021 indicates baby boom in one east London borough
- 7 V&A launches festival to celebrate 150 years in Bethnal Green
- 8 Roman Road shop blaze 'believed to be accidental'
- 9 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 10 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
Eight people were arrested for offences including common assault, theft, assault, possession of blades, possession of a firearm, possession with intent to supply class A drugs, possession of class A drugs and burglary.