Crackdown on East End bus crime leads to eight arrests
EIGHT people were arrested, including one for possession of a gun, when police cracked down on crime on public transport last week. Around 130 officers from Tower Hamlets police s safer transport team and council workers took part in high-visibility and c
EIGHT people were arrested, including one for possession of a gun, when police cracked down on crime on public transport last week.
Around 130 officers from Tower Hamlets police's safer transport team and council workers took part in high-visibility and covert patrols to tackle crime and antisocial behaviour on the buses around the East End last Thursday.
They concentrated on the stretch of the A11 along Bow Road, Mile End Road, Whitechapel Road and Whitechapel High Street and there was a community safety bus parked on Grove Road near Mile End Tube station where officers were on hand to give out crime prevention advice and answer any questions.
Officers travelled on bus routes and explained to passengers how to help reduce the opportunities for pickpockets.
You may also want to watch:
They also used blue-tooth technology text safety messages to people on buses.
Insp Myles Allen , Tower Hamlets Safer Transport said: "We have worked to identify and arrest offenders, prosecute those people who try to avoid paying their fare and reassure passengers that public transport in Tower Hamlets is a good and safe way to travel."
- 1 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 2 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 3 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 4 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 5 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 ‘Humanitarian disaster’ food shortage for East End families in poverty
- 8 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 9 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 10 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
Eight people were arrested for offences including common assault, theft, assault, possession of blades, possession of a firearm, possession with intent to supply class A drugs, possession of class A drugs and burglary.