Crackdown on East End bus crime leads to eight arrests
EIGHT people were arrested, including one for possession of a gun, when police cracked down on crime on public transport last week. Around 130 officers from Tower Hamlets police s safer transport team and council workers took part in high-visibility and c
EIGHT people were arrested, including one for possession of a gun, when police cracked down on crime on public transport last week.
Around 130 officers from Tower Hamlets police's safer transport team and council workers took part in high-visibility and covert patrols to tackle crime and antisocial behaviour on the buses around the East End last Thursday.
They concentrated on the stretch of the A11 along Bow Road, Mile End Road, Whitechapel Road and Whitechapel High Street and there was a community safety bus parked on Grove Road near Mile End Tube station where officers were on hand to give out crime prevention advice and answer any questions.
Officers travelled on bus routes and explained to passengers how to help reduce the opportunities for pickpockets.
They also used blue-tooth technology text safety messages to people on buses.
Insp Myles Allen , Tower Hamlets Safer Transport said: "We have worked to identify and arrest offenders, prosecute those people who try to avoid paying their fare and reassure passengers that public transport in Tower Hamlets is a good and safe way to travel."
- 1 Work begins on £300m Chrisp Street Market redevelopment
- 2 Council houses named after Matchgirls Strike leader
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 5 County lines drug dealer jailed
- 6 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 7 Housing association apologises after sewage leaks at Isle of Dogs tower blocks
- 8 Liveable Streets: Councillors remove some Brick Lane closures after 'backlash'
- 9 Traffic slow moving in Limehouse and Poplar due to burst water main
- 10 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
Eight people were arrested for offences including common assault, theft, assault, possession of blades, possession of a firearm, possession with intent to supply class A drugs, possession of class A drugs and burglary.