Cricket star Pieterson turns hand to plumbing at Barnardo’s
ENGLAND cricketer Kevin Pietersen got all in a twist trying his hand at a bit of plumbing. He looked in at the Barnardo charity’s skills centre to meet unemployed youngsters from deprived backgrounds where they are learning skilled trades such as plumbing
ENGLAND cricketer Kevin Pietersen got all in a twist trying his hand at a bit of plumbing.
He looked in at the Barnardo charity's skills centre to meet unemployed youngsters from deprived backgrounds where they are learning skilled trades such as plumbing, electrics and carpentry.
It was trying to bend copper piping that really got him cornered when he met teenage trainees 'rescued' off the dole by the Barnardo charity's Hub skills centre in the heart of London's East End last Friday.
"Many of them used to bunk off school or get into trouble with police," he said. "But they are turning their lives around with Barnardo's help. It's inspiring to see."
The Barnardo's organisation which runs The Hub in Stepney recently launched a Teens' Speech project inviting youngsters all over the country to upload their video message on issues important to them.
The Teens' Speech project goes live on MySpace and YouTube front pages on Christmas day.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin, meanwhile, decided he might be better bending willow to leather on the cricket pitch than bending copper piping.
- 1 Luxury Canary Wharf flats going for lower rent set by the council
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 Fines totalling £361k handed to East End landlords and agents
- 4 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Barts Health NHS Trust reports one of lowest rates of vaccinated staff
- 7 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 8 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 9 Building new tower block starts on Limehouse Triangle 'wildlife site'
- 10 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids