Cricket star Pieterson turns hand to plumbing at Barnardo’s
ENGLAND cricketer Kevin Pietersen got all in a twist trying his hand at a bit of plumbing. He looked in at the Barnardo charity’s skills centre to meet unemployed youngsters from deprived backgrounds where they are learning skilled trades such as plumbing
ENGLAND cricketer Kevin Pietersen got all in a twist trying his hand at a bit of plumbing.
He looked in at the Barnardo charity's skills centre to meet unemployed youngsters from deprived backgrounds where they are learning skilled trades such as plumbing, electrics and carpentry.
It was trying to bend copper piping that really got him cornered when he met teenage trainees 'rescued' off the dole by the Barnardo charity's Hub skills centre in the heart of London's East End last Friday.
"Many of them used to bunk off school or get into trouble with police," he said. "But they are turning their lives around with Barnardo's help. It's inspiring to see."
The Barnardo's organisation which runs The Hub in Stepney recently launched a Teens' Speech project inviting youngsters all over the country to upload their video message on issues important to them.
The Teens' Speech project goes live on MySpace and YouTube front pages on Christmas day.
You may also want to watch:
Kevin, meanwhile, decided he might be better bending willow to leather on the cricket pitch than bending copper piping.
- 1 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 2 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 3 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 4 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 5 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 9 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 10 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End