Inquest finds Tower Hamlets cleaner was killed by faulty wiring
PUBLISHED: 13:06 05 October 2012
A Tower Hamlets cleaner who was electrocuted while working in a badly wired house died as a result of an accident, an inquest jury has found.
Diyan Hristov, 22, lived in Schooner Close on the Isle of Dogs, but was working in Putney when he was killed by a 230 volt shock.
The Bulgarian was discovered slumped over a chaise longue in an upstairs bedroom of a Victorian terraced house on Wadham Road.
His carpet cleaning machine and a pedal fan were still running near him.
Mr Hristov, who moved to the UK in 2007, was a sub-contractor for Perfect Clean, and had been hired to clean all the carpets in the house.
Westminster Coroner’s Court heard the appliances were not faulty, but poor wiring could have led to the exposed metal on either device becoming live.
An appointment to rectify the problem was booked for July 22, 2010, the day after Mr Hristov died.
Homeowner Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry, a lawyer, told the inquest of the electrical problems that had plagued him and wife Melody Mckeown since 2003, when they moved in.
It was Miss Mckeown who discovered Mr Hristov.
Health and safety expert Anthony Wray assessed the fan and cleaning equipment, but found no faults capable of killing Mr Hristov.
“Therefore, his conclusion is it must have been as a result of a fault with the electrical installation at the site of the incident,” said coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe.
After a two-day inquest finishing on October 3, a jury recorded a verdict of accidental death.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.