Landlord couple fined for fire hazard after Tower Hamlets council summons
PUBLISHED: 18:09 31 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:47 03 February 2014
A couple who rented out their property in a “dangerous” condition in London’s East End have been fined £14,400.
The five-storey terraced house in Bow Road, Bow, occupied by several tenants, did not comply with security, fire and electrical safety laws.
Landlords Samuel Jenyo and his wife Olusola, from Harrier Way in Beckton, were summonsed with their company, SAB Associates, and found guilty by Thames magistrates of offences under the Housing Act.
They failed to carry out “essential security, fire safety and electrical work” after 21 months which was first brought to their attention in May, 2011, magistrates heard.
Matters were still not properly dealt with when environment officers called again during a follow-up visit more than a year-and-a-half later, when the couple failed to produce an electrician’s certificate.
There were still electrical faults, while the fire alarm system and fire doors did not comply with the safety regulations, the court was told.
Magistrate Fitz Allen-Howard commented: “Any diligent landlord should be aware of obvious faults like scorched electrical sockets.”
Jenyo was fined £5,800, his wife £4,300 and SAB Associates £4,300. Total fines and surcharges topped £14,760.
The summons was a warning shot from the Town Hall that “landlords have a moral duty and legal obligation to make sure homes they rent out are safe.”
Deputy Mayor Ohid Ahmed said after the hearing: “We welcome the court’s decision to penalise landlords who leave tenants in dangerous conditions.”
Fire and safety regulations for multiple-occupied dwellings apply to most private rented properties in the East End, the council points out. Advice can be given by its Environment Health department on 020-7364 5008.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.