Man acquitted in Joel Adesina murder trial after Bethnal Green fatal stabbing
PUBLISHED: 10:56 19 October 2015 | UPDATED: 10:46 20 October 2015
The murder trial continues today over the fatal stabbing of 15-year-old schoolboy Joel Adesina at Bethnal Green in London's East End before Christmas after one of the men accused of taking part was acquitted by an Old Bailey judge.
Lincoln Olaribigbe walked free on Friday after prosecutors failed to prove he was in a Mercedes said to have been used to trap Joel in a cul-de-sac off Brick Lane where he was stabbed on December 5.
The case against 23-year-old Olaribigbe was on being in the car with co-defendant Georgie Phillips, 20.
But evidence did not demonstrate that he was in the car, Judge Stephen Kramer told jurors.
“The prosecution always put him in the blue Mercedes for a realistic prosecution on the charge of murder,” the judge said. “The (defence) now says he cannot with any certainty place Olaribigbe in the area in question.
“There’s insufficient evidence to continue to seek conviction against Olaribigbe for murder.”
Olaribigbe, from Regents Court, Hoxton, had denied murder and was now released.
Phillips, 20, from Hood Walk, Romford, who also denies murder, is still on trial.
He admitted driving the Mercedes without a license,but said he was “unaware of any knives” being carried by any of the others in the car.
“I had been caught with a knife before,” he told the court. “I know if I get caught again I will be going to prison. I have never carried a knife since.”
Someone got out of the car and dragged Joel away to be stabbed, jurors heard. But Phillips claimed he “never got out of that car once.”
The Mercedes was found by police burnt out two days later. Phillips has admitted involvement in its destruction. The trial continues.