Rapper Nasty’s ‘E3 post code’ killer found guilty after 5-year police hunt

PUBLISHED: 20:10 01 June 2015 | UPDATED: 13:22 02 June 2015

Eventually justice at Old Bailey for family of Issachan Nichols (inset), stabbed to death in 2010

Eventually justice at Old Bailey for family of Issachan Nichols (inset), stabbed to death in 2010


The family of a teenager who died after a street stabbing in London’s East End five-and-a-half years ago finally got justice at the Old Bailey today.

January 2010... scene of fatal stabbing in Lefevre Walk, BowJanuary 2010... scene of fatal stabbing in Lefevre Walk, Bow

Isschan Nicholls, an aspiring rap artist known as Nasty, was stabbed in what witnesses at the time said might have been a “post code” knifing.

The 18-year-old was surrounded by a gang of youths at Lefevre Walk, off Parnell Road in Bow, on January 13, 2010—two miles from his home in Poplar.

Isschan and his pal were stabbed several times.

They were later rushed to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel, where Isschan remained in a critical condition for two days.

January 2010... Flowers at scene of Issachan's stabbing in Lefevre Walk, BowJanuary 2010... Flowers at scene of Issachan's stabbing in Lefevre Walk, Bow

He died on January 15 from his injuries, just three months after his 18th birthday. He had been stabbed in the stomach and thigh.

His 17-year-old pal survived the attack and was later discharged from hospital.

Simeon Hunter, 25, from Bow—who was 19 at the time—was found guilty today of manslaughter, following a five-week trial.

Police called to the scene by neighbours found Isschan and his friend with knife wounds.

What then followed was a meticulous investigation which spanned more than five years, the trial heard.

It included a £20,000 reward for information as well as repeated appeals by Isschan’s family for witnesses to come forward.

Detectives arrested 17 people—two women and 15 men—between 2010 and 2011 alone, during the investigation.

Forensic analysis found traces of Isschan’s blood on Hunter’s trousers, linking him to the scene and fatal stabbing.

But it wasn’t until this year, five years on, that the Met Police were finally able to secure the evidence to convict Hunter—and get justice for Isschan’s bereaved family.

“This was a challenging and complicated investigation,” Det Insp John Venn, from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command, said after today’s verdict.

“Many people were involved in the fight. I hope today’s verdict serves as a reminder that police will relentlessly pursue those involved in these crimes and bring them before the courts to face justice.”

Hunter will be sentenced on Thursday.

A second man, Mully Tambwe, 23, from Romford, who was charged with murder alongside Hunter, was acquitted today of both murder and manslaughter.

Proceedings against a third man, Joel Ofori, 23, from Bow, who was also charged with murder, were discontinued at an earlier date.

Neighbours in Lefevre Walk told the East London Advertiser at the time that youths had been racing around in cars on the night of the attack.

Isschan and his friends had been surrounded and attacked by hooded youths because he was “in the wrong postcode”—E3 instead of where he lived in E14.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the East London Advertiser