Search

Two dozen dangerous drivers arrested in citywide clampdown

PUBLISHED: 15:55 01 February 2018 | UPDATED: 15:55 01 February 2018

Unmarked lorry cab fitted with cameras. Picture: Metropolitan Police

Unmarked lorry cab fitted with cameras. Picture: Metropolitan Police

Metropolitan Police

More than 1,500 offenders were caught for driving offences, including using a mobile phone at the wheel, last week.

The capital’s dangerous drivers were targeted last week under a joint clampdown by the Metropolitan Police and Transport for London (TfL), which resulted in 25 arrests.

Under Operation Safeway, traffic officers arrested five people for “drink or drug driving offences”, with others falling foul of assault, disqualified driving, drugs and immigration offences.

“This operation was about reminding all road users of the importance of keeping themselves safe while driving,” said Commander Neil Jerome, of the Met’s Territorial Policing Command.

“I hope our policing activity achieved just that and motorists can certainly expect to see us carrying out similar operations throughout the year to ensure they are concentrating on safe driving.”

Officers caught 636 drivers using mobile phones, which ran from Monday, January 22 to Sunday.

Anyone found to be texting, making calls or recording videos illegally at the wheel risks a £200 fine and six points on their licence, police said.

TfL head of transport policing Siwan Hayward said: “We want to send out the clear message that if you drive in London and flout the rules, you will be caught.

“We want London’s streets to feel safe for everyone and will continue to crack down on dangerous drivers.”

Teams also patrolled in an unmarked lorry cab as part of the operation, which ran from Monday, January 22 to Sunday.

The vehicle’s high vantage point and hidden cameras allowed officers to spot and film non-compliant drivers, a Met spokesman said.

Drivers using their mobile on the road are four times more likely to be involved in a collision, with texters 23 times more likely to crash compared to an alert driver, according to police.

“The Mayor has set out a clear ambition in adopting Vison Zero that TfL, the police, boroughs and the community must work together to create a road network which is free from death or seriously injury,” added Simon.

“This week of action shows what we can do together and is the start of a major shift.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists