Two more arrested on ‘suspicion of murder’ after Joel Adesina’s stabbing in east London

PUBLISHED: 13:02 09 December 2014 | UPDATED: 14:02 09 December 2014

Tragic spot in late-night off-license where Joel Adesina collapsed

Tragic spot in late-night off-license where Joel Adesina collapsed


Detectives investigating the murder of schoolboy Joel Adesina in east London have released details today of two more arrests.

Late-night Off-license where Joel Adesina saught refugeLate-night Off-license where Joel Adesina saught refuge

The two men - aged 24 and 23 were arrested yesterday on suspicion of murder and were taken into custody at separate north London police stations where they remain today.

A 24-year-old woman was arrested last night on suspicion of murder, who also remains in custody.

The investigation continues and detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command are appeal for witnesses and or anyone with information who saw the street fight in Bethnal Green late Friday night in which Jeol, a 15-year-old from Dagenham, was fatally stabbed in the stomach.

A post mortem examination on Monday, 8 December gave cause of death as stab wound to the liver.

Joel Adesina died three hours after a street fight in Berthnal GreenJoel Adesina died three hours after a street fight in Berthnal Green

Customers in a late-night off-license comforted Joel as he lay dying following Friday’s stabbing.

Joel ran into the Ekol corner store seeking refuge, screaming for help, after being in a confrontation involving his friends and the occupants of a car.

He was stabbed in Bethnal Green’s narrow Padbury Court, a cobblestone cul-de-sac at the back of Brick Lane, in a clash that police said spilled out along Gibraltar Walk then onto Bethnal Green Road.

“He ran into my shop saying ‘please help’ with a knife wound to his stomach,” a store manager who asked not to be identified said.

Padbury Court... where Joel Adesina was stabbedPadbury Court... where Joel Adesina was stabbed

“Then he dropped to the floor by the counter, blood everywhere. A customer called for an ambulance.”

Police cordoned off the area and set up a forensic tent next to the ally where Joel was stabbed. The off-license was also closed over the weekend as forensic scientists studied the premises inch by inch.

“They examined the shop for two days, working all night with cameras,” the manager added.

“We lost all our trade, but that’s not important. A boy has died. It’s very sad—he was only 15.”

Joel was rushed the Royal London in Whitechapel, but died less than three hours later at 2.12am on Saturday.

The tight-knit East End neighbourhood around Gibraltar Walk was in shock following the stabbing.

Film-maker Aissa Bimmia said: “One of the teenagers ran into the corner off-licence and fainted—that’s where he ended up.

“There was blood on the shop-floor. This kid was just 15.”

Primark store worker Maria Gala, a near neighbour, said: “I saw a youth running and I heard people screaming.”

Construction worker Ashley Juan, 30, said: “It’s tragic—you don’t expect this on your doorstep.”

A nine-year-old boy in a flat overlooking Padbury Court said he saw youths chasing Joel and then heard screams.

Detectives from the Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command are appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to call 020-8345 3734, the non-emergency line on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East London Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the East London Advertiser