100 youths clash in East End street gang fight at Bethnal Green
- Credit: Archant
Police converged on a gang fight in London’s East End last night when at least 100 youths clashed in the street.
Terrified residents dialled 999 as rival groups confronted each other at 7.30pm along Old Bethnal Green Road, near Cambridge Heath railway station in Bethnal Green.
“I heard the noise of fighting then saw at least 100 youths outside pushing and shoving each other,” one terrified resident told the East London Advertiser.
“One man had blood pouring from a gash. He had a towel wrapped round his head and was leaning on the boot of a police car while an officer was tending his woulds. It was very frightening.”
An ambulance was called to the scene and the injured man was taken to hospital for treatment, but did not have life-threatening injuries. He was detained in hospital overnight.
You may also want to watch:
One man was later arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm, Scotland Yard confirmed this-morning, but was later released without charge.
Police continued patrolling the area for several hours after the gangs were disbursed. They are investigating what caused the fracas.
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Parkour group to move from home of seven years after lease is cancelled
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift