100 youths clash in East End street gang fight at Bethnal Green
- Credit: Archant
Police converged on a gang fight in London’s East End last night when at least 100 youths clashed in the street.
Terrified residents dialled 999 as rival groups confronted each other at 7.30pm along Old Bethnal Green Road, near Cambridge Heath railway station in Bethnal Green.
“I heard the noise of fighting then saw at least 100 youths outside pushing and shoving each other,” one terrified resident told the East London Advertiser.
“One man had blood pouring from a gash. He had a towel wrapped round his head and was leaning on the boot of a police car while an officer was tending his woulds. It was very frightening.”
An ambulance was called to the scene and the injured man was taken to hospital for treatment, but did not have life-threatening injuries. He was detained in hospital overnight.
You may also want to watch:
One man was later arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm, Scotland Yard confirmed this-morning, but was later released without charge.
Police continued patrolling the area for several hours after the gangs were disbursed. They are investigating what caused the fracas.
- 1 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 5 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 6 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 7 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 8 Thames Path voted UK's No one for walking — even if blocked in places
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime