27 arrested in east London drugs raids as police seize weapons and £20,000
- Credit: Met Pol/LBTH
Police have carried out a series of dawn raids in east London today as part of an operation to crackdown on drugs, violence and criminal activity.
They seized weapons, two tasers, £20,000 cash and a car in raids on 30 addresses with search warrants simultaneously at addresses in Whitechapel, Stepney and elsewhere across east London.
More than 150 officers from across the Met were involved in the operation who made 27 arrests and took suspects into custody.
“These arrests demonstrate our commitment to deal robustly with those who supply drugs,” Det Chief Insp Mike Hamer of the Gangs and Offender Management unit said.
“We know the impact street based drug dealing has, through our understanding of criminal behaviour and from what our residents tell us.”
You may also want to watch:
The drug running is causing a strain on public services, with Tower Hamlets Council having to spend more than £7 million from the public purse this year alone to tackle substance misuse in the East End.
Mayor John Biggs, who was briefed about the police swoops, said: “This operation is part of our ongoing work to tackle the scourge of drug dealing on our streets.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Friends of John Pierce compiling 'book of memories' for his family
- 3 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 4 It's been a busy week at Leyton Orient with plenty of signings expected
- 5 Police renew appeal over disappearance of man last seen in Poplar
- 6 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 7 Queen's Birthday Honours: Caterer who gave out free meals gets BEM
- 8 Phone snatcher admits guilt after robberies in Islington, Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Man 'brandishes gun' in busy Canary Wharf restaurant
- 10 Driver threatened at gunpoint in Bromley-by-Bow carjacking
“Public safety is a priority and we’ll continue to use our powers to disrupt drug-dealing markets and prevent the criminal behaviour.
“We will do everything to fight drug dealing on our streets.”
The 26 men and one woman arrested this-morning were being held in custody on suspicion of “offences relating to drug supply in Tower Hamlets”, Scotland Yard has confirmed.