Armed police raid in Bow shocks neighbours
Armed police have raided a housing block in Old Ford Road this morning and neighbours were shocked to hear an explosion when officers blew in a front door.
Around 40 officers, some carrying maching guns, reportedly stormed into Jossiline Court on Old Ford Road and close to St Stephen’s Road at around 10am.
The first neighbours knew of it was a loud bang as officers made their way into one flat within the block.
Anthony Stock, 56, lives above the flat in question but was outside the building at the time of the raid.
He said: “I’m still waiting for my body to come back inside my skin.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone heard the explosion and then came out to see what was happening.
“I have to admit I panicked and ducked down.”
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 2 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 3 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 4 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 5 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 6 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 7 Shops reopening after lockdown now fear council rent hikes
- 8 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 9 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 10 'Hold still while I ink your portrait for Captain Tom challenge'
Mr Stock said the officers were dressed in plains clothes and were wearing masks and crash helmets.
He said he saw two men being taken from the flat by police and believed that five men, two of whom are in their 50s and said to be Asian, had been living there for the last four or five weeks.
The Met Police were unable to provide any further details on the raid at this time.