Armed robbers steal £200k of jewellery from Whitechapel shop
Armed robbers stole around £200,000 worth of jewellery from a shop this morning, prompting an investigation and a helicopter search by the police.
Staff at Ukay International Jewellers, in Whitechapel Road, said a group of six men with hammers entered the store between 9.30am and 9.40am wearing crash helmets.
Manager Ahfaz Miah said: “They came in and they punched my brother out the front. Then they went into the jewellery section with a magnetic door which they hammered.
“They broke the glass and took over £200,000 worth of goods. Rings, bracelets, chains, earrings.
“We’ve been at this site about three years and in another building in this road for 15. Nothing of this sort has happened in the last three years or before.”
You may also want to watch:
Police helicopters are searching for the suspects after attending the scene.
Mr Miah said the men fled on motorbikes, and that the store has insurance.
- 1 Mayor or leader: Your choice on May 6
- 2 Covid-19 mass testing after variant detected in E1 postal area
- 3 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 4 Teenager arrested after 13-year-old stabbed in Isle of Dogs
- 5 Ramadan explained: Everything you need to know about the Islamic holy month
- 6 Orient boss McAnuff determined to not help Salford City into the play-offs
- 7 'I'm backing leader and cabinet model in Tower Hamlets referendum'
- 8 Covid patients in intensive care down to single figures at hospital trust
- 9 East London venue to host big-screen Euro 2020 football fanzone
- 10 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
The Met police said: “Officers attended but the suspects had already fled the scene with a quantity of high value items.
“Flying Squad detectives are working with Tower Hamlets Borough CID and enquiries into the incident are ongoing. There have been no arrests.”
Witnesses or anyone with any information should call the police or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.