Armed robbers steal £200k of jewellery from Whitechapel shop
Armed robbers stole around £200,000 worth of jewellery from a shop this morning, prompting an investigation and a helicopter search by the police.
Staff at Ukay International Jewellers, in Whitechapel Road, said a group of six men with hammers entered the store between 9.30am and 9.40am wearing crash helmets.
Manager Ahfaz Miah said: “They came in and they punched my brother out the front. Then they went into the jewellery section with a magnetic door which they hammered.
“They broke the glass and took over £200,000 worth of goods. Rings, bracelets, chains, earrings.
“We’ve been at this site about three years and in another building in this road for 15. Nothing of this sort has happened in the last three years or before.”
Police helicopters are searching for the suspects after attending the scene.
Mr Miah said the men fled on motorbikes, and that the store has insurance.
- 1 Archie Battersbee dies: Hospital staff showed 'extraordinary compassion'
- 2 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 3 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 4 Ongoing gas leak after fire and explosion in Shoreditch
- 5 Leyton Orient 'don't really need' Forest Green Rovers cup tie says Wellens
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 8 We need a couple of bodies says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
- 9 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 10 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
The Met police said: “Officers attended but the suspects had already fled the scene with a quantity of high value items.
“Flying Squad detectives are working with Tower Hamlets Borough CID and enquiries into the incident are ongoing. There have been no arrests.”
Witnesses or anyone with any information should call the police or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.