Asian teenager beaten and her headscarf grabbed during racist attack in Bethnal Green
- Credit: Archant
A woman repeatedly hit an Asian teenager and tried to grab her headscarf during a racist attack in Bethnal Green.
The 18-year-old was inside McDonalds in Bethnal Green Road, with her two friends, who are also 18, when her attacker hurled racist abuse at them.
After they left the restaurant she followed them and continued to shout racist abuse before hitting one of them three times on the back of her neck and trying to grab her headscarf.
She also spat at one of the other women.
Detectives are keen to trace a man who tried to intervene and are appealing for anyone who witnessed the attack, which took place at the junction of Roman Road and Victoria Park Square, on October 3 at around 3pm to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
The attacker is a black woman aged around 40 and was wearing a black coat and gold hooped earrings.
Det Con Anton Arulnayagam, investigating officer, said: “This was a distressing incident, which is believed to have been racially motivated.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 6 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
“We believe the assault was witnessed by a man in his 20s, who attempted to intervene. Officers would like to speak with this man or any other witnesses.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101, Central East Command on 07500 975395 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.