Asian teenager beaten and her headscarf grabbed during racist attack in Bethnal Green
- Credit: Archant
A woman repeatedly hit an Asian teenager and tried to grab her headscarf during a racist attack in Bethnal Green.
The 18-year-old was inside McDonalds in Bethnal Green Road, with her two friends, who are also 18, when her attacker hurled racist abuse at them.
After they left the restaurant she followed them and continued to shout racist abuse before hitting one of them three times on the back of her neck and trying to grab her headscarf.
She also spat at one of the other women.
Detectives are keen to trace a man who tried to intervene and are appealing for anyone who witnessed the attack, which took place at the junction of Roman Road and Victoria Park Square, on October 3 at around 3pm to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
The attacker is a black woman aged around 40 and was wearing a black coat and gold hooped earrings.
Det Con Anton Arulnayagam, investigating officer, said: “This was a distressing incident, which is believed to have been racially motivated.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 6 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 9 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley
“We believe the assault was witnessed by a man in his 20s, who attempted to intervene. Officers would like to speak with this man or any other witnesses.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101, Central East Command on 07500 975395 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.