Bar loses its license following failed police investigation
A bar in Shoreditch has had its licence withdrawn following a failed police investigation into a man being stabbed 15 times outside its premises.
Drop East on Commercial Street had its licence revoked by Tower Hamlets licensing sub committee last week after police applied for a review of its license following the incident.
Police say their investigation revealed the original disturbance began inside the premises and that the bar they failed to download CCTV footage to assist them in their investigation. According to police CCTV footage was removed from the premises.
The victim was stabbed in different parts of the body including his arms, legs and back earlier this year at around 3.40am on March 27. Three other men were hit by bottles during the disturbances believed to involve known gangs from outside Tower Hamlets, according to police.
PC Alan Cruickshank, of Tower Hamlets Police Licensing Unit, said both the victim and witnesses had been reluctant to come forward and that as a result they had to close the investigation.
You may also want to watch:
He said the bar had also been open past its licensable hours and that they had evidence of drug dealing at the premises.
PC Cruickshank warned: “The revocation of this licence sends a clear message that it is the responsibility of licence holders to work with the police to prevent crime and disorder occurring in the pubs, clubs and other licensed premises. We will continue to enforce the legislation that is available to us to make Tower Hamlets a safer place.”
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 6 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
- 7 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 8 Appeal for dashcam footage following stabbing in Stepney churchyard
- 9 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion