Jailed: Bethnal Green drug dealer found with loaded gun, heroin and crack cocaine
- Credit: Archant
A ‘dangerous’ drug dealer who kept a loaded gun on top of a wardrobe has been jailed for eight years.
Detectives found the .32 Smith and Wesson double break revolver during a dawn raid on Irasto Yoxall’s flat in Turin Street, Bethnal Green.
His address was raided as part of an operation targetting drug dealers in Kent.
The gun – able to fire up to five shots – was wrapped in a cloth and hidden in a cupboard above the wardrobe.
Officers from Kent Police also uncovered 73 bags of crack cocaine besides 40 wraps and a solid lump of heroin under a boiler. The drugs had a combined street value of about £3,500.
Det Insp James Derham said: “The items found in Yoxall’s property prove him to be a dangerous and organised offender who seeks to profit from the misery of drug abuse.
“Had our officers not acted when they did, I have little doubt that the firearms would have been used in criminality, possibly endangering the lives of innocent members of the public.”
- 1 New Kray twins book to explore lives of gangsters 'aside from the crimes'
- 2 Bow man appears in court charged with murder after body found in cemetery
- 3 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 4 East End's 'last' Victorian funeral parlour being restored - and opens as burger bar
- 5 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 6 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 7 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 8 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
- 9 Riverside park extension above new sewage structures given green light
- 10 Japanese udon noodles chain to mark Canary Wharf opening with free bowls
Yoxall, 32, was arrested at his home during the police raid in April last year.
He pleaded guilty to possessing a firearm and ammunition without a certificate as well as being in possession of heroin with intent to supply in May last year.
He also pleaded guilty to possessing a class A drug with intent to supply and received a three year sentence which will be served simultaneously.
He was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Friday.
Det Insp Derham said: “A large quantity of class A drugs were found pre-packaged and ready to be supplied on the streets – a quick profit for an offender like Yoxall who has no regard for the consequences it would have on the users and their families.
“This case sends out a very clear message – if you are involved in criminality in Kent, Kent police has the resources and the ability to bring you to justice irrespective of where you live.”