Jailed: Bethnal Green man who handled phones stolen by moped-riding robbers
- Credit: Archant
A Bethnal Green man has been jailed for handling mobile phones stolen by moped-riding robbers whose victims include former chancellor George Osborne.
Shamsul Chowdhury, of Usk Street, was sentenced to four years and 10 months after pleading guilty to handling stolen goods.
He was jailed in August but the news has only been released today after the robbers were jailed.
Southwark Crown Court heard the raiders carried out more than 103 crimes over five days in Camden, Westminster, Islington, and Kensington and Chelsea between April 18 and May 5 this year.
Victims, who were occasionally threatened with a hammer and a metal bar, had their phones snatched as they walked.
You may also want to watch:
Claude Parkinson, 18, from Islington, and two others aged 16 and 15 who cannot be named because of their age, had previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery.
Parkinson was sentenced to five years and three months while the teenagers were each sentenced to four years and two months.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 5 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 6 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 7 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 8 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 9 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals