Jailed: Bethnal Green man who handled phones stolen by moped-riding robbers
- Credit: Archant
A Bethnal Green man has been jailed for handling mobile phones stolen by moped-riding robbers whose victims include former chancellor George Osborne.
Shamsul Chowdhury, of Usk Street, was sentenced to four years and 10 months after pleading guilty to handling stolen goods.
He was jailed in August but the news has only been released today after the robbers were jailed.
Southwark Crown Court heard the raiders carried out more than 103 crimes over five days in Camden, Westminster, Islington, and Kensington and Chelsea between April 18 and May 5 this year.
Victims, who were occasionally threatened with a hammer and a metal bar, had their phones snatched as they walked.
You may also want to watch:
Claude Parkinson, 18, from Islington, and two others aged 16 and 15 who cannot be named because of their age, had previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit robbery.
Parkinson was sentenced to five years and three months while the teenagers were each sentenced to four years and two months.
- 1 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 2 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 3 Two men rescued from Shadwell flat fire
- 4 Truman Brewery offices, shops and restaurants plan gets green light
- 5 Truman's Brewery future being debated at Tower Hamlets Council
- 6 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 7 Rape victim speaks out as Met Police relaunch Ask for Angela scheme
- 8 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 9 Councillor ex-husband of MP Apsana Begum suspended from Labour Party
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man