Bethnal Green man jailed for kidnap after police found a woman in his boot
- Credit: Met Police
A kidnapper has been jailed after police found his victim locked in the boot of his car when questioning him over his insurance.
Shafak Abbas, 24, of Wickford Street, Bethnal Green was also found to be in possession of a firearm.
Officers approached Abbas’ gold Mercedes on April 18 just after midday as he didn’t have any insurance.
His “evasive behaviour when questioned” led the officers to begin to search his car - and Abbas then told the police there was a 26-year-old woman was locked in his boot.
The woman was found “crying and in a distressed state.”
You may also want to watch:
He was charged with kidnap, driving whilst disqualified, having no insurance and possessing a firearm.
He was sentenced to 15 months in prison at Snaresbrook Crown Court on September 15 after a four-day trial.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 4 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 5 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 6 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime