Bethnal Green man jailed for kidnap after police found a woman in his boot
- Credit: Met Police
A kidnapper has been jailed after police found his victim locked in the boot of his car when questioning him over his insurance.
Shafak Abbas, 24, of Wickford Street, Bethnal Green was also found to be in possession of a firearm.
Officers approached Abbas’ gold Mercedes on April 18 just after midday as he didn’t have any insurance.
His “evasive behaviour when questioned” led the officers to begin to search his car - and Abbas then told the police there was a 26-year-old woman was locked in his boot.
The woman was found “crying and in a distressed state.”
You may also want to watch:
He was charged with kidnap, driving whilst disqualified, having no insurance and possessing a firearm.
He was sentenced to 15 months in prison at Snaresbrook Crown Court on September 15 after a four-day trial.
- 1 Isle of Dogs man who murdered teenager at Crossharbour DLR sentenced to 27 years
- 2 Man charged after triple stabbing on night bus in Mile End
- 3 Man killed after fall from Bow tower block
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 New pizza restaurant opening with drag and disco party
- 6 Why TfL won't restart the night tube on Jubilee line just yet
- 7 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 8 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 9 Parkour group to move from home of seven years after lease is cancelled
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift