Bethnal Green man jailed for kidnap after police found a woman in his boot
- Credit: Met Police
A kidnapper has been jailed after police found his victim locked in the boot of his car when questioning him over his insurance.
Shafak Abbas, 24, of Wickford Street, Bethnal Green was also found to be in possession of a firearm.
Officers approached Abbas’ gold Mercedes on April 18 just after midday as he didn’t have any insurance.
His “evasive behaviour when questioned” led the officers to begin to search his car - and Abbas then told the police there was a 26-year-old woman was locked in his boot.
The woman was found “crying and in a distressed state.”
You may also want to watch:
He was charged with kidnap, driving whilst disqualified, having no insurance and possessing a firearm.
He was sentenced to 15 months in prison at Snaresbrook Crown Court on September 15 after a four-day trial.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 3 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones