Bethnal Green man jailed for kidnap after police found a woman in his boot
- Credit: Met Police
A kidnapper has been jailed after police found his victim locked in the boot of his car when questioning him over his insurance.
Shafak Abbas, 24, of Wickford Street, Bethnal Green was also found to be in possession of a firearm.
Officers approached Abbas’ gold Mercedes on April 18 just after midday as he didn’t have any insurance.
His “evasive behaviour when questioned” led the officers to begin to search his car - and Abbas then told the police there was a 26-year-old woman was locked in his boot.
The woman was found “crying and in a distressed state.”
You may also want to watch:
He was charged with kidnap, driving whilst disqualified, having no insurance and possessing a firearm.
He was sentenced to 15 months in prison at Snaresbrook Crown Court on September 15 after a four-day trial.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 5 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 8 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns