Bethnal Green man jailed for theft of teenager’s £3,000 bike
- Credit: Archant
A thief who pedalled away with a teenager’s £3,000 racing bike has been jailed after leading police on a wild goose chase.
Thomas Jeffries, 25, stole 14-year-old Georg Mew Jensen’s bike, just days before he was due to appear in national championships.
Former Spandau Ballet star Gary Kemp joined BBC radio DJ Robert Elms to raise £700 to replace the bike and allow him to compete – but police managed to return the bike in the nick of time.
Jeffries, of Bethnal Green Road, admitted to stealing the bike from Redbridge Cycling Centre during a hearing at Thames Magistrates Court last Wednesday.
He also admitted a second count of theft of a bike earlier in the same year. He now faces four months in jail.
You may also want to watch:
Ch Supt Sultan Taylor praised the sentencing as an “excellent result”.
- 1 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 2 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 5 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 8 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 9 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 10 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings