Bethnal Green man jailed for theft of teenager’s £3,000 bike
- Credit: Archant
A thief who pedalled away with a teenager’s £3,000 racing bike has been jailed after leading police on a wild goose chase.
Thomas Jeffries, 25, stole 14-year-old Georg Mew Jensen’s bike, just days before he was due to appear in national championships.
Former Spandau Ballet star Gary Kemp joined BBC radio DJ Robert Elms to raise £700 to replace the bike and allow him to compete – but police managed to return the bike in the nick of time.
Jeffries, of Bethnal Green Road, admitted to stealing the bike from Redbridge Cycling Centre during a hearing at Thames Magistrates Court last Wednesday.
He also admitted a second count of theft of a bike earlier in the same year. He now faces four months in jail.
You may also want to watch:
Ch Supt Sultan Taylor praised the sentencing as an “excellent result”.
- 1 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 4 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 5 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 6 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 That's so raven: Everything you need to know about the guardians of the Tower
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 500 deaf children wait to see if their education needs will be cut by Tower Hamlets Council