Bethnal Green man jailed for theft of teenager’s £3,000 bike
- Credit: Archant
A thief who pedalled away with a teenager’s £3,000 racing bike has been jailed after leading police on a wild goose chase.
Thomas Jeffries, 25, stole 14-year-old Georg Mew Jensen’s bike, just days before he was due to appear in national championships.
Former Spandau Ballet star Gary Kemp joined BBC radio DJ Robert Elms to raise £700 to replace the bike and allow him to compete – but police managed to return the bike in the nick of time.
Jeffries, of Bethnal Green Road, admitted to stealing the bike from Redbridge Cycling Centre during a hearing at Thames Magistrates Court last Wednesday.
He also admitted a second count of theft of a bike earlier in the same year. He now faces four months in jail.
You may also want to watch:
Ch Supt Sultan Taylor praised the sentencing as an “excellent result”.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff explains the reasoning for dropping Jamie Turley to the bench
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 Mother and son taken to hospital during "severe" fire in Bow
- 6 Volunteers take food for Ramadan to neighbours on Isle of Dogs
- 7 Former Bagel Factory turned into creative studios to rent out
- 8 London elections 2021: City and East candidates make case for your vote
- 9 It was a big opportunity missed for Leyton Orient says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 Fundraiser launched after school families suffer 'so many Covid deaths'