Bethnal Green resident’s praise for pilot project that sniffs out drugs
- Credit: Archant
A resident has praised a council project using sniffer dogs to tackle drug dealing and related anti-social behaviour in housing block stairwells.
Under the scheme the Tower Hamlets enforcement officers have been working with sniffer dogs and their trained handlers to carry out proactive patrols in six Bethnal Green housing blocks, with the intention of identifying and disrupting drug dealers operating there.
Bethnal Green esident Alan Stevens had experienced drug dealing, drug misuse and prostitution outside his flat – but has noticed a vast improvement since the patrols began.
Mr Stevens, of Bentworth Court, said: “You don’t expect to see these kind of problems inside your block and next to your front door. The dog patrols have been a great experience, and it’s working – they have cleared the problem at my end of the building.”
The patrols are part of a pilot that ran from November 14 to December 31 under the council’s ‘Dealer a Day’ programme.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Ohid Ahmed, Deputy Mayor of Tower Hamlets, said: “This is a good example of how the THEOs are striving to find new ways of tackling anti-social behaviour to improve residents’ quality of life. I am happy to see residents noticed the difference.”
The patrols have taken place during the hours 8pm-1am on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the following blocks: Sivill House and Cuff Point on Columbia Road; Robert Owen House and Arthur Wade House on Baroness Road; Dunmore Point on Gascoigne Place; Clifton House on Club Row; and Bentworth Court on Granby Street.
- 1 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 2 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 3 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 6 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 7 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 8 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 9 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 10 Man who died in Mile End park named