Bethnal Green resident’s praise for pilot project that sniffs out drugs
- Credit: Archant
A resident has praised a council project using sniffer dogs to tackle drug dealing and related anti-social behaviour in housing block stairwells.
Under the scheme the Tower Hamlets enforcement officers have been working with sniffer dogs and their trained handlers to carry out proactive patrols in six Bethnal Green housing blocks, with the intention of identifying and disrupting drug dealers operating there.
Bethnal Green esident Alan Stevens had experienced drug dealing, drug misuse and prostitution outside his flat – but has noticed a vast improvement since the patrols began.
Mr Stevens, of Bentworth Court, said: “You don’t expect to see these kind of problems inside your block and next to your front door. The dog patrols have been a great experience, and it’s working – they have cleared the problem at my end of the building.”
The patrols are part of a pilot that ran from November 14 to December 31 under the council’s ‘Dealer a Day’ programme.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Ohid Ahmed, Deputy Mayor of Tower Hamlets, said: “This is a good example of how the THEOs are striving to find new ways of tackling anti-social behaviour to improve residents’ quality of life. I am happy to see residents noticed the difference.”
The patrols have taken place during the hours 8pm-1am on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the following blocks: Sivill House and Cuff Point on Columbia Road; Robert Owen House and Arthur Wade House on Baroness Road; Dunmore Point on Gascoigne Place; Clifton House on Club Row; and Bentworth Court on Granby Street.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
- 10 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals