Bike thief caught with angle grinder in Bethnal Green spared jail
An adventurous bike thief who travelled across London to steal cycles and assaulted a police officer after being caught with an angle grinder has been spared jail.
Tazul Islam, of Bethnal Green, stole seven bikes during a two month spree in Kingston, south-west London during May and June.
The 27-year-old also assaulted a police officer after being caught in possession of an angle grinder and wire cutters in Old Ford Road on August 21.
He was arrested for carrying equipment for theft after being spotted by police officers paying close attention to bikes in the area, before assaulting the officer at Bethnal Green Police Station. He admitted the charges at a hearing at South West London Magistrates’ Court this week.
Islam also pleaded guilty to stealing the bikes – worth more than £3000 - from Kingston.
But he was spared jail at a sentencing on Tuesday, September 3.
Islam, of Kedleston Walk, was handed a 12 month community order, and a curfew restricting his movements between 9pm and 6am, as well as a drug rehabilitation order.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 3 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 Guilty: East London criminals jailed in December 2021