Bike thief caught with angle grinder in Bethnal Green spared jail
An adventurous bike thief who travelled across London to steal cycles and assaulted a police officer after being caught with an angle grinder has been spared jail.
Tazul Islam, of Bethnal Green, stole seven bikes during a two month spree in Kingston, south-west London during May and June.
The 27-year-old also assaulted a police officer after being caught in possession of an angle grinder and wire cutters in Old Ford Road on August 21.
He was arrested for carrying equipment for theft after being spotted by police officers paying close attention to bikes in the area, before assaulting the officer at Bethnal Green Police Station. He admitted the charges at a hearing at South West London Magistrates’ Court this week.
Islam also pleaded guilty to stealing the bikes – worth more than £3000 - from Kingston.
You may also want to watch:
But he was spared jail at a sentencing on Tuesday, September 3.
Islam, of Kedleston Walk, was handed a 12 month community order, and a curfew restricting his movements between 9pm and 6am, as well as a drug rehabilitation order.
- 1 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 2 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 3 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 4 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 5 MPs pledge to fight on for 'forgotten victims' of IRA Canary Wharf bombing
- 6 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 7 Fire crews fight blaze at pub in Hackney Wick
- 8 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 9 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 10 Beer gardens reopening with face masks, sanitisers and cobblestones