Bike thief caught with angle grinder in Bethnal Green spared jail
An adventurous bike thief who travelled across London to steal cycles and assaulted a police officer after being caught with an angle grinder has been spared jail.
Tazul Islam, of Bethnal Green, stole seven bikes during a two month spree in Kingston, south-west London during May and June.
The 27-year-old also assaulted a police officer after being caught in possession of an angle grinder and wire cutters in Old Ford Road on August 21.
He was arrested for carrying equipment for theft after being spotted by police officers paying close attention to bikes in the area, before assaulting the officer at Bethnal Green Police Station. He admitted the charges at a hearing at South West London Magistrates’ Court this week.
Islam also pleaded guilty to stealing the bikes – worth more than £3000 - from Kingston.
You may also want to watch:
But he was spared jail at a sentencing on Tuesday, September 3.
Islam, of Kedleston Walk, was handed a 12 month community order, and a curfew restricting his movements between 9pm and 6am, as well as a drug rehabilitation order.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 4 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 5 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 6 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime