Bike thief caught with angle grinder in Bethnal Green spared jail
An adventurous bike thief who travelled across London to steal cycles and assaulted a police officer after being caught with an angle grinder has been spared jail.
Tazul Islam, of Bethnal Green, stole seven bikes during a two month spree in Kingston, south-west London during May and June.
The 27-year-old also assaulted a police officer after being caught in possession of an angle grinder and wire cutters in Old Ford Road on August 21.
He was arrested for carrying equipment for theft after being spotted by police officers paying close attention to bikes in the area, before assaulting the officer at Bethnal Green Police Station. He admitted the charges at a hearing at South West London Magistrates’ Court this week.
Islam also pleaded guilty to stealing the bikes – worth more than £3000 - from Kingston.
You may also want to watch:
But he was spared jail at a sentencing on Tuesday, September 3.
Islam, of Kedleston Walk, was handed a 12 month community order, and a curfew restricting his movements between 9pm and 6am, as well as a drug rehabilitation order.
- 1 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 2 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 3 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 4 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 5 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 9 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided