Bomb scare at East London Mosque in Whitechapel
- Credit: Getty Images
Hundreds of people were evacuated from one of London’s biggest mosques after a bomb scare.
Police alerted the East London Mosque to intelligence suggesting a possible explosive device within the mosque or the neighbouring London Muslim Centre just before midday prayers yesterday.
Today police said they cordoned off the area and deployed a search unit but did not find anything.
The bomb scare comes just days after a siege by Islamists in a shopping mall in Kenya that left scores dead, including at least six Britons.
A statement by the mosque said: “At approximately 12.00pm today (Wednesday) the East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre management was contacted by police, alerting us to a possible bomb threat.
You may also want to watch:
“The entire complex was evacuated safely, while mosque staff assisted police in checking for any suspicious packages.
“We remain vigilant in the face of such threats.”
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 6 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 7 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 10 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney