Bomb scare at East London Mosque in Whitechapel
- Credit: Getty Images
Hundreds of people were evacuated from one of London’s biggest mosques after a bomb scare.
Police alerted the East London Mosque to intelligence suggesting a possible explosive device within the mosque or the neighbouring London Muslim Centre just before midday prayers yesterday.
Today police said they cordoned off the area and deployed a search unit but did not find anything.
The bomb scare comes just days after a siege by Islamists in a shopping mall in Kenya that left scores dead, including at least six Britons.
A statement by the mosque said: “At approximately 12.00pm today (Wednesday) the East London Mosque and London Muslim Centre management was contacted by police, alerting us to a possible bomb threat.
You may also want to watch:
“The entire complex was evacuated safely, while mosque staff assisted police in checking for any suspicious packages.
“We remain vigilant in the face of such threats.”
- 1 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 2 'Stop building more towers,' MP at protest after New Providence Wharf fire
- 3 MP's fury at four-year delay removing Grenfell-type cladding from block
- 4 Leyton Orient have announced their retained list as they begin rebuild
- 5 Racist vandalism keyed on cars parked in street on Isle of Dogs
- 6 Tower Hamlets votes to keep directly-elected mayoral post
- 7 'Halt to development draining services' after win for neighbourhood plan
- 8 Blaze at Canary Wharf tower block with cladding issue
- 9 Leyton Orient have a big summer ahead of them insists director Ling
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'