Border officials arrest three immigrants working in a Spitalfields cash and carry
- Credit: Archant
Border agency officials arrested three men for immigration offences after a raid on a cash and carry shop on Friday.
Bangla Town Cash and Carry in Hanbury Street, Spitalfields, is facing a fine of up to £30,000 after the arrest of three Bangladeshi workers by Home Office Immigration Enforcement officers on Friday.
Two, aged 23 and 27 respectively, had overstayed their visas, and a 31-year-old was found to be working in breach of visa conditions, officials said. They have been transferred to an immigration detention centre pending removal from the UK.
The Home Office’s head of immigration enforcement in east London Claire Shacklock said: “These arrests show there is nowhere to hide for those who are in the country illegally. Anyone we find doing so faces arrest and removal.
“Illegal working has a serious impact on communities, undermining legitimate businesses and taking jobs from those who are genuinely allowed to work.”
Officials raided the shop on Friday lunchtime after receiving intelligence on illegal workers there. The business was handed notice of fines of £10,000 for each of the three men arrested unless proof of the correct right to work checks being carried out is provided.
“While we are happy to work with businesses to let them know what checks need to be made on staff, those who do break the law will face financial consequences,” added Ms Shacklock.
- 1 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 2 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 3 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 9 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 10 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
Nobody from the shop was available for comment.