Border officials arrest three immigrants working in a Spitalfields cash and carry
- Credit: Archant
Border agency officials arrested three men for immigration offences after a raid on a cash and carry shop on Friday.
Bangla Town Cash and Carry in Hanbury Street, Spitalfields, is facing a fine of up to £30,000 after the arrest of three Bangladeshi workers by Home Office Immigration Enforcement officers on Friday.
Two, aged 23 and 27 respectively, had overstayed their visas, and a 31-year-old was found to be working in breach of visa conditions, officials said. They have been transferred to an immigration detention centre pending removal from the UK.
The Home Office’s head of immigration enforcement in east London Claire Shacklock said: “These arrests show there is nowhere to hide for those who are in the country illegally. Anyone we find doing so faces arrest and removal.
“Illegal working has a serious impact on communities, undermining legitimate businesses and taking jobs from those who are genuinely allowed to work.”
You may also want to watch:
Officials raided the shop on Friday lunchtime after receiving intelligence on illegal workers there. The business was handed notice of fines of £10,000 for each of the three men arrested unless proof of the correct right to work checks being carried out is provided.
“While we are happy to work with businesses to let them know what checks need to be made on staff, those who do break the law will face financial consequences,” added Ms Shacklock.
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 8 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
Nobody from the shop was available for comment.