Snapped! Cyclist in Bow Road who dumps bike and runs off after colliding with pedestrian, 72, who later dies
- Credit: MPS
Detectives have found CCTV footage of a cyclist in east London who collided with a 72-year-old pedestrian in the Bow Road and sped off leaving the man to die.
They have released the image today of the cyclist caught on camera who later dumped his bike and ran off following the incident outside Thames Magistrates Court on July 3.
They also have a snapshot of him having dumped the bike and is seen running through a car park, after leaving Peter McCombie lying injured by a pedestrian crossing outside the courthouse.
Mr McCrombie was treated by paramedics at the scene, then taken to hospital a critical condition with serious head injuries, but died seven days later last Saturday, July 11.
The cyclist didn’t stop and a detective chief appealed on July 14 for him to come forward.
Police have since been sifting through street camera footage taken along Bow Road on July 3 around 5pm and come across two images, one of the cyclist they want to question, the other what appears to be the same man, wearing dark shorts and top and white trainers, dashing through the car park without the bike.
You may also want to watch:
“I appeal directly to the cyclist to come forward to assist this investigation,” Det Insp Julie Trodden said.
“But more importantly to provide answers to Peter’s family who are grieving the tragic loss of a loved one, now mourning his loss as a result of this collision.”
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 6 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 7 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 8 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 9 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
Peter was an active man who had continued to work beyond retirement age.
Police also want to speak to anyone who recognises the cyclist or saw him leaving the scene.
“He cycled off, but from photos we can see he abandoned his bike and then ran,” the detective chief revealed. “Please tell us if anyone knows the location of this bike—it’s vital evidence.”
Any information, even just the street where the cyclist was seen later, could be crucial, detectives say.
Witnesses or anyone in Bow Road by Thames Magistrates’ Court around 5pm on Friday, July 3, who may have seen events immediately before and after, are being urged to call the incident room on 020-8597 4874, or dial 101, or Twitter @MetCC, quoting CAD 5779/03JUL. Anyone with dashcam footage is also being asked to come forward. Information can be given anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 (crimestoppers-uk.org). No arrests have been made.