Brick Lane curry house owner fined after dead mice and droppings found in restaurant
A former restaurateur has been hit with a �10,000 bill for running a rodent infested-curry house.
Three rotting mice and a large cockroach were discovered at Muhib Indian Cuisine in Brick Lane, Snaresbrook Crown Court heard.
Visiting on April 14 last year, environmental health officers from Tower Hamlets council found droppings in boxes of salad and takeaway containers, as well as three mice trapped on a sticky trap at various stages of decomposition.
They reacted by shutting down the premises using a hygiene emergency prohibition notice.
Owner Batir Miah, 40, was held responsible for the restaurant’s infestation.
Prosecutor Archie Maddan told the court: “The officers described it as a serious mice infestation indicated by the large volume of droppings and the spread throughout the property.”
Miah had received notices in November 2010 and March 2011 warning him to improve his standards.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 8 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 9 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
Miah, of Mighell Avenue, Ilford, Essex, admitted seven breaches of European Commission and food hygiene regulations.
Defending, Brian Richardson said that Miah had worked hard to solve the problems, and had not received complaints from the public.
He said: “After these matters were brought to his attention he spent something like �10,000 trying to rectify the problem but he was not able to get the business up and running again.”
Judge Martyn Zeidman handed Miah a �7,000 fine and ordered him to pay �3,000 costs.
Miah has also been banned from managing any food outlet, but can continue in his current job as a waiter.
Sentencing, Judge Zeidman said: “This is a bad case. There were very serious defects in the system or lack of system in this restaurant.
“I must protect the public against any further misconduct and in the circumstances it is proper to impose a prohibition on you managing any food business.”