‘Cowardly bullies’ jailed over Ibrahim Ghrib’s death in Shadwell Basin
- Credit: Archant
Two men were jailed yesterday for manslaughter after leaving a man to die in the freezing waters of Shadwell Basin dock in a motiveless attack.
Ibrahim Ghrib, 20, drowned as his girlfriend watched, powerless to help.
Amran Chowdhury, 27, and his brother Misba, 24, were convicted at the Old Bailey on Friday. and were sentenced on Wednesday to six and five years in prison respectively.
Amran’s girlfriend at the time, Steffi Rai, now 27, of Holloway Circus Queensway, Birmingham, was convicted of perverting the course of justice by helping him evade arrest.
They escaped for four years but were pinned to the crime after evidence was reviewed. Investigating officer Detective Constable Darrell Etchells, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Today’s sentencing marks the end of a long and extensive investigation to bring to justice those responsible for Ibrahim’s death.
“No motive has ever been discovered for the attack but I hope Ibrahim’s family can find some peace in the fact that the jury are satisfied the Chowdhury brothers were responsible for his death.”
He added: “In summing up, the Judge described the Chowdhury’s as ‘cowardly bullies’ - a description that cannot be disputed given the facts of this case.”
- 1 Tower Hamlets A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Man, woman and child escape 'large' e-bike fire in Wapping flat by climbing out window
- 3 Plan to install gates at canalside development blocked despite ASB concerns
- 4 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
- 5 'Ruthless' killer sentenced for Isle of Dogs murder
- 6 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 7 Teenager, 17, arrested after car crashes into Bow apartment building
- 8 Investigation under way after fire and explosion at Shoreditch block
- 9 Canary Wharf Underground station stabbing leaves man in hospital
- 10 Man reportedly 'chased by moped rider with large knife' in Poplar