‘Cowardly bullies’ jailed over Ibrahim Ghrib’s death in Shadwell Basin
- Credit: Archant
Two men were jailed yesterday for manslaughter after leaving a man to die in the freezing waters of Shadwell Basin dock in a motiveless attack.
Ibrahim Ghrib, 20, drowned as his girlfriend watched, powerless to help.
Amran Chowdhury, 27, and his brother Misba, 24, were convicted at the Old Bailey on Friday. and were sentenced on Wednesday to six and five years in prison respectively.
Amran’s girlfriend at the time, Steffi Rai, now 27, of Holloway Circus Queensway, Birmingham, was convicted of perverting the course of justice by helping him evade arrest.
They escaped for four years but were pinned to the crime after evidence was reviewed. Investigating officer Detective Constable Darrell Etchells, of the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Today’s sentencing marks the end of a long and extensive investigation to bring to justice those responsible for Ibrahim’s death.
You may also want to watch:
“No motive has ever been discovered for the attack but I hope Ibrahim’s family can find some peace in the fact that the jury are satisfied the Chowdhury brothers were responsible for his death.”
He added: “In summing up, the Judge described the Chowdhury’s as ‘cowardly bullies’ - a description that cannot be disputed given the facts of this case.”
- 1 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 5 Authorities urged to act against 'terrifying' Isle of Dogs car races
- 6 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 7 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 8 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 9 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man