£5k reward offered to catch ‘dangerous’ absconder wanted after widow, 92, is robbed
- Credit: Met Police
Crimestoppers has today put up a £5,000 reward for information leading to the whereabouts of an absconder wanted in connection with a violent robbery in Shoreditch.
Sanchez Edwards, a paranoid schizophrenic with a history of drug use, is suspected of attacking a 92-year-old woman in Hoxton Street on May 27 after absconding the John Howard Centre in Homerton.
Footage shows the recently-widowed victim being pulled to the ground.
She suffered cracked ribs, bruising on her legs and a head injury.
Her family said she has now lost her confidence and is afraid to leave her home.
You may also want to watch:
The independent charity is offering the sum for information given directly to it which leads to the arrest of the ‘dangerous and violent’ 28-year-old.
Edwards had been admitted to the medium-secure mental heath unit on January 29 last year, and was later convicted and sentenced to an unrestricted hospital order under Section 37 Mental Health Act for an assault against a member of hospital staff.
- 1 Tackling Covid blamed for yet more threats to public services
- 2 Politicians join forces on referendum about Tower Hamlets mayor
- 3 Windows smashed in Extinction Rebellion protest at Canary Wharf bank HQ
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in Stepney Green Park
- 5 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 6 Shoppers queue for bread on opening weekend of new Wapping street market
- 7 Cyclist in critical condition after 'serious collision' in Bow
- 8 Refugee fighting £2,850 claim in lettings agency dispute
- 9 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 10 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
Officers have released CCTV images of the last sighting of Edwards inside Bethnal Green station at around 12.30pm on Monday.
He was wearing dark clothing and black and white trainers.
He travels on buses as well as the London Underground and Overground and tends to travel on route 25 buses which starts at Ilford and terminates at Oxford Circus.
He also uses route 38 buses which start at Hackney Central and end at Victoria, as well as other buses predominantly in east London.
Detective Inspector Paul Ridley, investigating officer, said: “I have approached Crimestoppers for an enhanced reward of £5,000 for information leading to his arrest to provide an even greater incentive for the public, if one was needed, to inform us exactly where he is.
“All week I have had officers conducting street searches, stopping buses and trawling transport hubs, however we have a vast area to cover and Edwards is extremely transient.
“As I have warned previously, he is dangerous and violent so please do not attempt to confront or tackle him, call us on 999.”
Edwards is a dark skinned black male, 5ft 9ins, with short black hair, medium build and a black beard.
Anyone with details of Edwards’ whereabouts is asked to contact Hackney CID via 101 quoting the operation name Brunton or call Crimestoppers, you can be anonymous, on 0800 555 111.