‘Dangerous’ Sanchez Edwards, wanted after widow, 92, is robbed, seen in Bethnal Green
- Credit: Met Police
Police attempting to trace a ‘dangerous and violent’ absconder wanted in connection with a violent robbery of a 92-year-old woman have released footage of him in Bethnal Green station.
Sanchez Edwards failed to return from unescorted leave from the John Howard Centre in Homerton, on May 17.
Officers have released CCTV images of him inside the station at around 12.30pm on Monday. He is wearing dark clothing and black and white trainers.
Edwards, a paranoid schizophrenic with a history of drug use, had been admitted to the medium-secure mental heath unit on January 29 last year, and was later convicted and sentenced to an unrestricted hospital order under Section 37 Mental Health Act for an assault against a member of hospital staff.
No appeal was initially issued to try and find him because he was deemed “medium risk”, and detectives are now frantically trying to locate him over the horrific mugging.
You may also want to watch:
The recently-widowed victim had just popped out to post a letter and was headed to the Lawson Medical Centre off Hoxton Street when she was attacked from behind in the grounds on Tuesday, May 27.
Footage shows the robber using so much force the woman is pulled to the ground. She suffered cracked ribs, bruising on her legs and a head injury.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 4 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 5 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 6 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 7 Nine Tower Hamlets secondary schools rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 MP reported ex-husband to police for alleged 'harassment', trial hears
- 9 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 10 Poplar and Limehouse MP's trial on housing fraud charges set to start
Det Insp Paul Ridley said: “The injuries to the victim are alarming and harrowing, and in addition to pursuing Edwards for this violent robbery and absconding from the mental health unit, he has also inflicted serious grievous bodily harm to the victim.
“I need to re-iterate my warning about Sanchez Edwards. He is a violent, dangerous and unpredictable individual. Please do not approach him, but call 999 if seen.
“The further time that elapses, the heightened risk he is to members of the public as he becomes increasingly desperate.”
Edwards is described as a dark skinned black male, 5ft 9ins, with short black hair, medium build and a black beard.
Anyone with details of Edwards’ whereabouts is asked to contact Hackney CID via 101 quoting the operation name Brunton, or to give information anonymously call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.