Detective slams jailed robber a ‘coward’ for stabbing woman in handbag snatch at Millwall
- Credit: MPS
A man slammed by a Met Police detective as a coward for stabbing a woman while snatching her handbag in a street robbery has been jailed for eight years.
Abdul Kalam, 41, was sentenced today after being found guilty at his trial yesterday of robbery and handed a tough sentence which police have welcomed as he “no longer walks the streets” of London’s East End.
Kalam ambushed the 26-year-old woman walking through an alley in Millwall, between Ironmongers Place and Spindrift Avenue, telling her: “You need to give me your bag.”
She ignored him and bravely held on to her handbag. But Kalam pushed her to the ground and dragged her along the alley before stabbing her wrist, then picked-up the bag and ran off, Snaresbrook crown court heard.
An ambulance called to the scene treated the woman for a deep laceration to her wrist and hand before taking her to the Royal London Hospital at Whitechapel.
You may also want to watch:
Detectives arrested Kalam on suspicion of robbery in October, 2014, at his Isle of Dogs home in Westferry Road—less than half-a-mile from the attack. They charged him with robbery the following month.
“Kalam committed a cowardly and unprovoked attack which has had long term consequences for the woman,” Det Con Abi Mallett said after today’s sentencing.
- 1 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 2 Jailed: Teenagers who left victim blind in one eye after train stabbing
- 3 Patient group set up over allegations of 'poor care' at Royal London
- 4 Brick Lane's famous bagel shop launches delivery service
- 5 Canary Wharf floats idea for new green restaurant on water
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 8 Voting in the Isle of Dogs Neighbourhood Planning Referendum
- 9 Updated appeal for information about man last seen in Poplar in January
- 10 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
“She has displayed courage throughout this horrible assault and showed determination in bringing this man to justice.
“The public are undoubtedly safer now that this man is no longer walking the streets—the lengthy jail sentence Kalam has received is a just reflection of this.”
The woman Kalam stabbed has not recovered full function of her hand, even two years after her ordeal.