Driver who set fire to his car after Poplar hit-and-run jailed for 14 years
- Credit: Met Police
A driver who caused life-threatening injuries to a man he deliberately ran over has been jailed for 14 years.
Zeeshan Babar, of Bulwark Court, Parkside Square, Isle of Dogs, was also sentenced to five years’ imprisonment for arson, to run concurrently, and disqualified from driving for 12 years when he appeared at the Old Bailey today.
The 23-year-old had pleaded guilty to grievous bodily harm with intent and the arson offence on Tuesday, January 3.
The court heard how on July 9 last year, a black car was seen speeding around the corner from St Leonards Road, Poplar, into Zetland Street.
A 33-year-old man was suddenly thrown out of the car and a group of bystanders, who saw what happened, went to his aid.
You may also want to watch:
They tried to flag down Babar, who swerved and hit the 24-year-old victim, sending him flying into the air.
His friends chased after the vehicle which did a U-turn before driving back at speed, almost hitting him a second time.
- 1 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 2 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 3 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 4 Community names five heroes for Freedom of Tower Hamlets 2021
- 5 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 6 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 7 What's on in east London this weekend?
- 8 Pandemic hero helping Docklands IRA victims' families is struck by Covid
- 9 Police called as furious families told to quit Bow's 'dangerous' block
- 10 Volunteers patrol streets after Isle of Dogs fatal stabbing
Babar drove away and set fire to the car in nearby Joshua Street.
Police were able to trace him as the registered keeper and Babar was arrested within hours.
Despite suffering serious injuries, including a fractured skill, the man who was knocked down has since made a good recovery and has been able to return to work.
Det Con Christine Baynham-Swales, the investigating officer from Tower Hamlets CID, said: “It was the joint efforts of both the initial investigating uniformed officers who obtained early evidence and the committed secondary investigation by Tower Hamlets CID that secured this conviction.
“The victim suffered life-threatening injuries and was told by doctors that he was very lucky to have survived. This is well-deserved justice for him.”
Her colleague, Det Insp Chris Soole, added: “This was a serious incident and could have resulted in a tragic outcome had it not been for the swift response from paramedics and our uniform colleagues.”