Family ‘crushed’ as police name Lamar Stewart as man stabbed to death outside Mile End party
- Credit: Metropolitan Police
Police have formally named a 21-year-old man who was stabbed to death outside a house party as Lamar Stewart.
Lamar, who was a twin and lived in Mitcham, was knifed after a fight broke out at a party in Ropery Street, Mile End, in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Officers found him in a pool of blood in nearby Eric Street shortly after 2.30am.
He was rushed to hospital but died as a result of a haemorrhage and stab wound to the chest at 4.52am.
His devastated family have called his killing a “senseless act of crime”.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, they said: “Lamar was a good boy, a hard working boy and loved. He was loved by absolutely everyone.
“As a family we are crushed. We are all so close as a family and to lose Lamar is something we don’t think we will ever recover from.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End to open Book of Condolence in tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 4 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 5 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 6 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 7 'Blow the whistle on Amazon pay and conditions,' protesters urge
- 8 Covid-19: What's opening and what can you do on April 12?
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
“Lamar was a loving boy who after every conversation told his mum and dad and siblings that he loved them.”
The youngest of the family, Lamar had a twin sister, older sister and two brothers and his relatives say they have “lost our baby”.
Det Ch Insp Andrew Packer from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, who is leading the investigation, said: “Our enquiries so far have established there was a large group of young people from east and south London who attended this party and I need to trace as many people as possible to piece together the events that led to this murder.
“The stabbing occurred in the street and would have been clearly visible to passers-by and residents who may have been disturbed by the noise of the fight.
“This was a brutal attack that has taken a man’s life and I am urging anyone with information to come forward and speak to police.”
Anyone with information is asked to call 0208 345 3865 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue.