Fifth man arrested after York Hall murder in Bethnal Green
- Credit: MPS
Detectives investigating the murder of Luther Edwards on the steps of east London’s York Hall have made a fifth arrest, Scotland Yard has just confirmed.
A 26-year-old man was arrested today on suspicion of murder. He remains in custody at a central London police station.
Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command continue to investigate the stabbing resulting from a fight which broke out inside York Hall on July 29, when 31-year-old Luther was just leaving a Friday night boxing match. The violence spilled out onto the street at around 10.30pm.
Luthur staggered along Old Ford Road to a BP petrol station in Cambridge Heath Road where he collapsed. He did an hour later at the Royal London Hospital.
A post-mortem examination at Poplar Mortuary gave the cause of death as a stab wound to the heart.
Four others have been arrested over the past four weeks on suspicion of murder—one aged 32, the others in their 20s, all bailed to return to police in late September pending further enquiries.
Detectives are keeping an open mind on any motive and are still appealing for witnesses at York Hall on July 29, or in the streets outside, to call the incident room on 020-8345 3715, or anonymously Crimestoppers on 0800-555111, email: crimestoppers-uk.org.
- 1 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 2 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 3 Man arrested over two separate rape allegations - one previously unknown to police
- 4 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 5 One per cent council tax rise planned with borough set for balanced budget
- 6 Come Dine With Me calls on east London restaurants for new show
- 7 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
- 8 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 9 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 10 Ex football boss sets up fans club to increase diversity at England games