Gang of Brick Lane drug dealers sentenced
- Credit: Archant
Five drug dealers who sold to weekend revellers in Brick Lane have been locked up in a young offenders’ institute.
The group, who sold Class A drugs to party-goers in the smoking area outside nightclubs, were targeted in a police operation throughout last summer.
Amine Sugule, Abdi Rahman Shireh, Abdi Yusuf, all 20, were sentenced alongside 19-year-olds Mohammed Jama and Usaama Ahmed at Snaresbrook Crown Court last week.
Det Insp John Cracknell said: “This investigation is an excellent example of the impact the police can have on organised criminal groups when different departments and other stakeholders work in partnership.
“The operation was borne out of intelligence gathered by Tower Hamlets borough. However it was led by the London Crime Squad, which gathered overwhelming evidence that led to all the subjects pleading guilty at the earliest opportunity.”
The five men sentenced all pleaded guilty to being concerned in the supply of Class A drugs.
Two further members of the gang of eight cannot be named for legal reasons, while one was sentenced at an earlier hearing.
- 1 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 2 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 3 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 4 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 5 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 6 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 Whitechapel nun pens book of 12 stories to inspire selflessness in society
- 9 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 10 Mile End: Car crashes into bus stop during police pursuit
Sugule, of Smythe Street, Poplar was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in a young offenders’ institute (YOI); Shireh, of Harford Street, Stepney was given three-and-a-half years at a YOI; Yusuf, of Abbot Road, Blackwall, received two years at a YOI; Jama, of Knapp Road, Bow received 15 months at a YOI; and Ahmed, of Bacon Street, Shoreditch received two-and-a-half years at a YOI.