Gemma McCluskie: Brother Tony appears in court charged with actor’s murder
The brother of EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie appeared in court this morning (Monday) charged with her murder.
Tony McCluskie, of Pelter Street Bethnal Green, wore a grey top and jeans as he stood in the dock at Thames Magistrates’ Court.
Miss McCluskie’s torso was discovered dumped in Regent’s Canal close to Hackney’s Broadway Market last week, days after she attended a high-profile hospital opening ceremony in east London.
Her 35-year-old brother was formally charged by police on Saturday night as divers continued their searches for Miss McCluskie’s remaining body parts.
The actress, 29, who played Kerry Skinner in the BBC soap in 2001, went missing following the opening of the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel on Thursday, March 1.
You may also want to watch:
Friends launched extensive searches across east London in a bid to find her and former EastEnders co-stars Natalie Cassidy and Brooke Kinsella both appealed on Twitter for help.
Miss McCluskie’s remains were discovered on Tuesday when a member of the public reported a suspicious object floating in the canal.
- 1 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Leyton Orient sign Theo Archibald on loan from Lincoln City
- 4 Highest point reached on new homes in disused Bethnal Green car park
- 5 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 6 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 7 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 8 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 9 Bidding for Harry Kane's signed jersey open in Wapping Youth FC auction
- 10 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
A post-mortem examination has proved inconclusive.