Gemma McCluskie: Jury retires to reach verdict in murder trial
- Credit: PA
Jurors deciding the fate of the brother of EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie, standing trial for her murder, have started considering their verdict.
Tony McCluskie, aged 35, who shared a flat with the 29 year-old actress in Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, admits manslaughter but denies murder on the grounds that he lost control when he killed Gemma.
The jury at the Old Bailey went out to deliberate this afternoon and it is not known how long it will take them to reach their verdict.
The window cleaner insists he cannot recall attacking Gemma before hacking her body into six pieces and dumping them in Regent’s Canal in March of last year.
The pair were living alone at the family home while their ill mother Pauline was in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Gemma, who starred in about 30 episodes of EastEnders, had been caring for their mother while working as a bar maid in Hackney.
- 1 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 2 Police chief to be quizzed at East London Mosque
- 3 Leyton Orient boosted by potential returns of Smyth and Drinan for Salford trip
- 4 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 5 Budding east London cricketers invited to watch The Hundred
- 6 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 7 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 8 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 9 Somali kitchen in Bethnal Green gets halal help from Amazon staff
- 10 Youngsters have put themselves in Jackett's plans at Orient says Pratley