Gemma McCluskie: Jury retires to reach verdict in murder trial
- Credit: PA
Jurors deciding the fate of the brother of EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie, standing trial for her murder, have started considering their verdict.
Tony McCluskie, aged 35, who shared a flat with the 29 year-old actress in Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, admits manslaughter but denies murder on the grounds that he lost control when he killed Gemma.
The jury at the Old Bailey went out to deliberate this afternoon and it is not known how long it will take them to reach their verdict.
The window cleaner insists he cannot recall attacking Gemma before hacking her body into six pieces and dumping them in Regent’s Canal in March of last year.
The pair were living alone at the family home while their ill mother Pauline was in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Gemma, who starred in about 30 episodes of EastEnders, had been caring for their mother while working as a bar maid in Hackney.
- 1 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 2 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 3 Fire crews fight blaze in railway arch in Bow
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 6 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff full of praise for Cheltenham Town after loss
- 7 Opposing 'privatisation of NHS by stealth'
- 8 Woman from Limehouse charged after Kill the Bill protest
- 9 'Torrent of hate' stalker tweeted pictures of victim on social media
- 10 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike