Gemma McCluskie: Jury retires to reach verdict in murder trial
- Credit: PA
Jurors deciding the fate of the brother of EastEnders actress Gemma McCluskie, standing trial for her murder, have started considering their verdict.
Tony McCluskie, aged 35, who shared a flat with the 29 year-old actress in Pelter Street, Bethnal Green, admits manslaughter but denies murder on the grounds that he lost control when he killed Gemma.
The jury at the Old Bailey went out to deliberate this afternoon and it is not known how long it will take them to reach their verdict.
The window cleaner insists he cannot recall attacking Gemma before hacking her body into six pieces and dumping them in Regent’s Canal in March of last year.
The pair were living alone at the family home while their ill mother Pauline was in hospital.
You may also want to watch:
Gemma, who starred in about 30 episodes of EastEnders, had been caring for their mother while working as a bar maid in Hackney.
- 1 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 2 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 5 Disgraceful management of the pandemic
- 6 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Embleton expecting more movement in the transfer window
- 9 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 10 Leyton Orient seal late victory over Morecambe