Girl, 17, may have been drugged before being subjected to three separate sex attacks in Bethnal Green
- Credit: Archant
A teenage girl may have been drugged before she was sexually assaulted three separate times in Bethnal Green as she walked home after a night out.
Police are appealing for information today after it is believed the 17-year-old was repeatedly attacked after she became separated from her friends following a visit to a club in Tower Hamlets.
Detectives investigating the alleged attacks have released CCTV images of two suspects and are in the process of carrying out toxicology tests on the victim.
Her hour-long ordeal is believed to have begun started shortly before midnight on September 29 when she was picked up on camera being carried by a man in Cambridge Heath Road.
The pair are then seen appearing to go into a doorway in the same road, after which the man, who was wearing dark clothing, is not seen again on camera.
Items of the top half of the girl’s clothing were subsequently found nearby.
Shortly after midnight, another CCTV camera picks up the girl stumbling down Mint Street, being followed by a different, bearded male, on a racing bicycle.
- 1 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 2 Whitechapel dessert shop fined over £5,000 for dumping waste
- 3 Update: Woman, 56, missing in Tower Hamlets found
- 4 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 5 Cyclist in 'critical but stable' condition after Whitechapel lorry crash
- 6 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 7 Section 60 in place across Tower Hamlets after Stepney stabbing
- 8 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 9 Cyclist in hospital after lorry collision in Whitechapel
- 10 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
Officers said the man followed the teenager along Mint Street, into Three Colts Lane, and then as she heads in the direction of Bethnal Green Overground station.
When the next camera picks her up, the man has approached her and they have reached Corfield Street.
Some time later, the camera picks up the man leaving the area and walking away.
The girl, whose clothing appears dishevelled, emerges shortly afterwards and goes further down Corfield Street.
Just minutes later, at around 12.45am, detectives believe the victim suffered a third attack, possibly involving two or three men.
The CCTV captures a third, different man walking down Corfield Street and joining two other figures under some trees. He appears to bend down towards a spot on the kerb in between some parked cars.
Detectives believe it was at this point that the victim was sexually assaulted.
A short time later, a member of the public spotted the teenager lying on the ground in Corfield Street in a state of distress and called 999.
Detective Inspector Suzanne Jordan, from the Met’s child abuse and sexual offences command, said: “This is a horrific multiple sexual assault on an young female who was simply making her way home after a night out.
“We would like to thank the members of the public who intervened to help her and possibly prevented her ordeal from continuing even further.
“We believe two of the three were very serious sexual assaults indeed, and are determined to catch the persons responsible for these hideous crimes.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 or via twitter at @MetCC, or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.