Hit and run Stepney pensioner named and man arrested
A PENSIONER killed in a hit and run last week has been identified as Mary Devine.
The 75-year-old Stepney resident was hit by a BMW on White Horse Lane, near the junction with Shandy Street on Tuesday (November 16).
She died at the scene from multiple injuries.
A 25-year-old man was arrested on Thursday in connection with the incident and has been bailed to return to a police station in February.
Police arrived at the scene at 9.20pm to find the 318i convertible on its side.
You may also want to watch:
Passers-by had helped the driver from the car but he ran away before cops arrived.
Det Sgt Joe Lock, of the Met’s road death investigation unit at Chadwell Heath, said officers were particularly keen to speak to witnesses who helped the driver out of the car.
- 1 Ethnic communities not taking up Covid jabs, Tower Hamlets Mayor warns
- 2 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Council fined for Alexia Walenkaki's playground death in Mile End and says sorry to family
- 5 Police hunt after stabbing in Cable Street: One man hurt
- 6 Streets around proposed Chinese embassy building could be renamed after persecuted Muslims
- 7 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 8 No injuries but 20 rescued as firefighters tackle Limehouse blaze
- 9 Police raid cannabis factory near Liverpool Street station: 2 arrests
- 10 Death of woman, 75, in Mile End fire could have been avoided
He added: “He is described as a young Asian man, though we have no better description at present.”
Information to Chadwell Heath witness line on 020 8597 4874 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.