Hit and run Stepney pensioner named and man arrested
A PENSIONER killed in a hit and run last week has been identified as Mary Devine.
The 75-year-old Stepney resident was hit by a BMW on White Horse Lane, near the junction with Shandy Street on Tuesday (November 16).
She died at the scene from multiple injuries.
A 25-year-old man was arrested on Thursday in connection with the incident and has been bailed to return to a police station in February.
Police arrived at the scene at 9.20pm to find the 318i convertible on its side.
You may also want to watch:
Passers-by had helped the driver from the car but he ran away before cops arrived.
Det Sgt Joe Lock, of the Met’s road death investigation unit at Chadwell Heath, said officers were particularly keen to speak to witnesses who helped the driver out of the car.
- 1 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 2 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 3 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 4 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 5 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
- 6 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 9 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 10 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
He added: “He is described as a young Asian man, though we have no better description at present.”
Information to Chadwell Heath witness line on 020 8597 4874 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.