Hit and run Stepney pensioner named and man arrested
A PENSIONER killed in a hit and run last week has been identified as Mary Devine.
The 75-year-old Stepney resident was hit by a BMW on White Horse Lane, near the junction with Shandy Street on Tuesday (November 16).
She died at the scene from multiple injuries.
A 25-year-old man was arrested on Thursday in connection with the incident and has been bailed to return to a police station in February.
Police arrived at the scene at 9.20pm to find the 318i convertible on its side.
You may also want to watch:
Passers-by had helped the driver from the car but he ran away before cops arrived.
Det Sgt Joe Lock, of the Met’s road death investigation unit at Chadwell Heath, said officers were particularly keen to speak to witnesses who helped the driver out of the car.
- 1 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 2 Jailed: drug dealer who rammed police with stolen car to escape
- 3 Beer gardens reopening with face marks, sanitisers and cobblestones
- 4 Boxpark reopening in Shoreditch with face masks and Covid hygiene measures
- 5 Housing protest at Shadwell's Watney Market over service charges hike
- 6 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 7 New street market coming to Docklands is Will's passion
- 8 East End pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Opposing 'privatisation of NHS by stealth'
- 10 Jailed: Smash-and-grab perfume raiders get 18 years between them
He added: “He is described as a young Asian man, though we have no better description at present.”
Information to Chadwell Heath witness line on 020 8597 4874 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.