Brothel raids: Couple from Poplar held on suspicion of human trafficking
- Credit: Google
A couple from Poplar have been arrested on suspicion of human trafficking after police raided properties believed to be used as brothels.
The 30-year-old man and 34-year-old woman were among five people arrested by Essex Police after the raids in Colchester.
Officers served arrest warrants at addresses in Brentwood, Basildon, Colchester and Southend.
Three other people were also being "safeguarded" in addition to those arrested, Essex police have confirmed.
Three women are among those being held in custody for questioning, the 34-year-old from Poplar as well as a 39-year-old from Southend and 53-year-old from Basildon.
You may also want to watch:
Two men under arrest are the 30-year-old from Poplar and a 47-year-old from Finsbury Park in north London.
- 1 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 3 Community patrols to stamp out Poplar's street crime
- 4 John McDonnell is character witness for Poplar MP accused of housing fraud
- 5 Fire Brigade deluged with calls for help as floods sweep east London
- 6 Ice cream parlour with 'no added sugar' to open in Canary Wharf
- 7 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 8 Driver demo blocks Uber's Whitechapel HQ in termination appeals dispute
- 9 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 10 Man arrested following triple stabbing in Isle of Dogs