Hunt for bogus cop who burgles home of pensioner, 81, in Poplar
An 81-year-old woman has been burgled by a bogus police officer using a stolen warrant card when he called at her home in London’s East End.
Now police are appealing for help in tracking the man and his accomplice.
The woman answered a knock at the front door of her home in Poplar when the man introduced himself with an authentic black leather wallet showing the Met Police crest.
He claimed to be investigating counterfeit cash and asked to check any money she had.
The woman led him from room to room—but was unaware that an accomplice had slipped in unnoticed and was rifling her possessions, stealing her savings and jewellery.
You may also want to watch:
“It is vital that people are on their guard,” Det Con Gary Fernon warned. “The effects burglary run far deeper than losing property.”
The bogus caller is described as white, 5ft 11ins tall, slim build with short, dark hair.
- 1 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 2 Tower Hamlets stages Covid jab festival
- 3 Man stabbed outside West India Quay DLR station
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Campaigners taking on town hall to keep Isle of Dogs youth club open
- 7 Campaigners oppose plans to change voting system for Tower Hamlets mayor
- 8 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 9 Vigil for June Harvey one year on from Bow crane tragedy
- 10 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
Police are appealing for anyone with information to call Tower Hamlets CID by dialling 101.
They are also issuing an alert to warn pensioners living alone to be aware of the bogus caller and to neighbours to watch out for any vulnerable person living alone.
Householders not expecting a police officer to call who is not in uniform or driving a marked police vehicle are also being advised to close the door and dial 999 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800-555111. A genuine officer won’t mind waiting while householders verify their identity, they point out