Inquest finds Tower Hamlets cleaner was killed by faulty wiring
A Tower Hamlets cleaner who was electrocuted while working in a badly wired house died as a result of an accident, an inquest jury has found.
Diyan Hristov, 22, lived in Schooner Close on the Isle of Dogs, but was working in Putney when he was killed by a 230 volt shock.
The Bulgarian was discovered slumped over a chaise longue in an upstairs bedroom of a Victorian terraced house on Wadham Road.
His carpet cleaning machine and a pedal fan were still running near him.
Mr Hristov, who moved to the UK in 2007, was a sub-contractor for Perfect Clean, and had been hired to clean all the carpets in the house.
You may also want to watch:
Westminster Coroner’s Court heard the appliances were not faulty, but poor wiring could have led to the exposed metal on either device becoming live.
An appointment to rectify the problem was booked for July 22, 2010, the day after Mr Hristov died.
- 1 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 4 19 arrested and cash seized in East End dawn drug raids
- 5 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
- 6 Prison sentence increased for 'violent and dangerous' man
- 7 CCTV images released of missing man last seen at Bow Road Station
- 8 O’s seeking to end winless run of three games with win over struggling Saddlers
- 9 Tower hamlets killing: £20,000 reward offered as two men sought for queries
- 10 Man, 19, charged after alleged sexual assaults in Tower Hamlets
Homeowner Jean-Pierre Douglas-Henry, a lawyer, told the inquest of the electrical problems that had plagued him and wife Melody Mckeown since 2003, when they moved in.
It was Miss Mckeown who discovered Mr Hristov.
Health and safety expert Anthony Wray assessed the fan and cleaning equipment, but found no faults capable of killing Mr Hristov.
“Therefore, his conclusion is it must have been as a result of a fault with the electrical installation at the site of the incident,” said coroner Dr Shirley Radcliffe.
After a two-day inquest finishing on October 3, a jury recorded a verdict of accidental death.