Investigation into “revolver” tweets naming Tower Hamlets Mayor sparks online fallout
Police have dropped their investigation after a former Labour Party manager tweeted he would “load the revolver” if the Tower Hamlets Mayor was Labour’s candidate for the 2016 London Mayoral election.
After suggestions of a ticket featuring Mayor Lutfur Rahman were rebuffed, Rob Marchant said on social networking site Twitter: “Phew. If not I will load the revolver and we can all take turns.”
He added: “Ah. [makes mental note to keep revolver well cleaned and oiled].”
The tweets were reported by Mayor Rahman, with Mr Marchant insisting they inferred self-harm rather than a threat.
After police dropped enquiries, Mr Marchant wrote: “…if the reaction of calling the police was one of genuine discomfort due to misunderstanding the nature of the joke, then I regret any such discomfort caused.
You may also want to watch:
“This was a joke between friends, and it was on us, not you, Lutfur”, he added.
Mayor Rahman then faced criticism for having reported the remarks to police.
- 1 Poplar MP acquitted of Tower Hamlets housing fraud
- 2 Jury sent home for the day in MP Apsana Begum's trial on housing fraud charges
- 3 Home Office pours £1m into tackling drug-related problems in East End
- 4 Unlocked rooms created 'radiation exposure risk' at hospital, inspectors report
- 5 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 6 'Vexatious charges': MP turns on accusers after acquittal in fraud trial
- 7 Apsana Begum's ex-husband may be behind housing bids, trial hears
- 8 Poplar MP tells court: 'I fled home when brother said I was possessed'
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Mum plans to use Raine's Foundation site for new East Park church school
But he responded: “I frequently receive abuse and threats — mainly from racist extremists of the EDL-ilk.
“That and the sheer violence of Marchant’s language in discussing me should explain why I acted when the tweets were drawn to my attention”, he concluded.