Arrested man in viral video is released under investigation
- Credit: Archant
A man arrested in Poplar on Tuesday (July 9) has been released from custody as the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigates the high-profile incident.
The man, 38, was arrested on suspicion of obstruction of the highway, assaulting police and resisting arrest following an altercation with officers in Abbott Road around 5.30pm, and has now been released under investigation.
Video footage of police officers restraining the man went viral on social media.
The IOPC has declared it has opened an independent investigation into the incident, after a mandatory referral from police due to the fact the man was injured.
Police say a full review into the circumstances surrounding the incident was carried out by the Central East Command Unit professional standards team, in liaison with the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards.
A statement read: "The Met is committed to ensuring the safety and confidence of its communities and will support the investigation throughout."
Yesterday (Wednesday), police said the man "became unwell" during the arrest and officers assisted him and called an ambulance.
- 1 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 2 Archie Battersbee case to be reconsidered in High Court
- 3 £28k worth of illegal tobacco seized from containers and shops during raids
- 4 Arrest of 'Ilford kingpin' sparked ‘biggest ever' Channel crossings crack down
- 5 Three stabbed in Chrisp Street chicken shop
- 6 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 7 Bethnal Green officers sacked over 'abhorrent and discriminatory' messages
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 1888 Match Girls’ Strike marked with blue plaque in east London
- 10 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
The man was initially taken to hospital as a precaution before being taken into custody.
The IOPC have Tweeted: "We can confirm we've received a referral from the Met Police relating to (Tuesday's) incident in Abbott Road, Poplar.
"We've started an independent investigation which will look at all the circumstances of the stop and arrest."