Arrested man in viral video is released under investigation
- Credit: Archant
A man arrested in Poplar on Tuesday (July 9) has been released from custody as the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigates the high-profile incident.
The man, 38, was arrested on suspicion of obstruction of the highway, assaulting police and resisting arrest following an altercation with officers in Abbott Road around 5.30pm, and has now been released under investigation.
Video footage of police officers restraining the man went viral on social media.
The IOPC has declared it has opened an independent investigation into the incident, after a mandatory referral from police due to the fact the man was injured.
Police say a full review into the circumstances surrounding the incident was carried out by the Central East Command Unit professional standards team, in liaison with the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards.
You may also want to watch:
A statement read: "The Met is committed to ensuring the safety and confidence of its communities and will support the investigation throughout."
Yesterday (Wednesday), police said the man "became unwell" during the arrest and officers assisted him and called an ambulance.
- 1 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 2 Fury as family homes vanish when Isle of Dogs landlord converts to bedsits
- 3 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 4 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 5 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
- 6 Leyton Orient announce partnership with Hartford Athletic
- 7 Two men arrested after police officers assaulted in Limehouse rave
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 10 'Racist consultation' protest rejected on Tower Hamlets street closures as Labour sticks to its manifesto
The man was initially taken to hospital as a precaution before being taken into custody.
The IOPC have Tweeted: "We can confirm we've received a referral from the Met Police relating to (Tuesday's) incident in Abbott Road, Poplar.
"We've started an independent investigation which will look at all the circumstances of the stop and arrest."