Arrested man in viral video is released under investigation
- Credit: Archant
A man arrested in Poplar on Tuesday (July 9) has been released from custody as the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigates the high-profile incident.
The man, 38, was arrested on suspicion of obstruction of the highway, assaulting police and resisting arrest following an altercation with officers in Abbott Road around 5.30pm, and has now been released under investigation.
Video footage of police officers restraining the man went viral on social media.
The IOPC has declared it has opened an independent investigation into the incident, after a mandatory referral from police due to the fact the man was injured.
Police say a full review into the circumstances surrounding the incident was carried out by the Central East Command Unit professional standards team, in liaison with the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards.
You may also want to watch:
A statement read: "The Met is committed to ensuring the safety and confidence of its communities and will support the investigation throughout."
Yesterday (Wednesday), police said the man "became unwell" during the arrest and officers assisted him and called an ambulance.
- 1 Sentencing of arms dealers set for one year after Isle of Dogs raid
- 2 Two men arrested in connection with Shadwell double stabbing
- 3 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 4 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 5 Teenager suffers 'life-changing' injuries after alleged attack in Shadwell
- 6 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
- 7 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 8 Man who died in Mile End park named
- 9 Leyton Orient seal first away win of the season at Bristol Rovers
- 10 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
The man was initially taken to hospital as a precaution before being taken into custody.
The IOPC have Tweeted: "We can confirm we've received a referral from the Met Police relating to (Tuesday's) incident in Abbott Road, Poplar.
"We've started an independent investigation which will look at all the circumstances of the stop and arrest."