Arrested man in viral video is released under investigation
- Credit: Archant
A man arrested in Poplar on Tuesday (July 9) has been released from custody as the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigates the high-profile incident.
The man, 38, was arrested on suspicion of obstruction of the highway, assaulting police and resisting arrest following an altercation with officers in Abbott Road around 5.30pm, and has now been released under investigation.
Video footage of police officers restraining the man went viral on social media.
The IOPC has declared it has opened an independent investigation into the incident, after a mandatory referral from police due to the fact the man was injured.
Police say a full review into the circumstances surrounding the incident was carried out by the Central East Command Unit professional standards team, in liaison with the Met's Directorate of Professional Standards.
You may also want to watch:
A statement read: "The Met is committed to ensuring the safety and confidence of its communities and will support the investigation throughout."
Yesterday (Wednesday), police said the man "became unwell" during the arrest and officers assisted him and called an ambulance.
- 1 Trial date set for MP Apsana Begum charged with 'housing fraud'
- 2 Jailed: Bethnal Green man who tried to buy hand grenade to use on police
- 3 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
- 4 Fear of crime stalked households during Covid lockdown
- 5 Photography celebrating Roman Road displayed in high street windows
- 6 Tributes paid after Tower Hamlets councillor dies at 40
- 7 Travel: Roadworks at Shoreditch and Bishopsgate could slow traffic
- 8 Leyton Orient agree new deal with defender Dan Happe
- 9 Docklands man pleads guilty to firearms offences
- 10 Live audience ban forces east London talent show to go on YouTube
The man was initially taken to hospital as a precaution before being taken into custody.
The IOPC have Tweeted: "We can confirm we've received a referral from the Met Police relating to (Tuesday's) incident in Abbott Road, Poplar.
"We've started an independent investigation which will look at all the circumstances of the stop and arrest."