Isle of Dogs Asda car park attack duo jailed

TWO men were jailed for a total 11 years imprisonment after being convicted of a vicious attack on a man in a supermarket car park on the Isle of Dogs leaving him suffering a cut to the head and a puncture wound in his arm pit.

23-year-old Danny Rowlands of Tiller Road, Poplar, was sentenced to seven years imprisonment and 18-year-old Raymond Elliott of Baythorne Street, Mile End, was sentenced to four and a half years imprisonment after both were convicted of attacking Reiss Reagan in the Asda car park by a judge sitting at the Old Bailey on Friday.

The pair were convicted of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Crown Prosecution Service London lawyer Thomas Halpin said: “The attack against the victim in this case was shocking. The victim was in a busy supermarket car park on a Saturday afternoon when the defendants set upon him.

“The level of violence inflicted upon the victim was sustained by the use of crude weapons. He was very lucky not to have suffered more serious injuries.

“The prosecution team hope that the sentence passed offers some comfort to the victim and his family at this difficult time.”

The incident happened shortly before 5pm on Saturday March 27 this year when Reiss Reagan, and a 25-year- old friend were sitting outside the entrance of the Asda supermarket, in East Ferry Road. The two defendants went into the supermarket and on their way out exchanged glances with Mr Reagan and his friend and walked towards them.

Most Read

A CPS spokeswoman said this led to a confrontation and Mr Reagan asked the defendants what they were looking at.

The defendants went to the car they had driven into the supermarket car park and from the boot pulled out a number of weapons including two metal bars between one foot and two feet in length with a handle and a spike at the other end. The defendants then struck the victim repeatedly with the metal bars and with a rock.

Rowlands then returned to the boot of the car and retrieved a knife. He stabbed the victim once in the left side and the defendants then fled the scene.

The victim suffered a severe laceration to his forehead and a puncture wound in the left armpit area. He has no recollection of the incident and his friend was not injured in the attack.