Jailed: Millharbour motorcyclist who caused girlfriend’s death
- Credit: Archant
A man has been jailed for causing the death of his girlfriend in a motorbike crash.
Iqbal Hussain of Millharbour, Isle of Dogs was twice the drink-drive limit on his motorcycle in Whitechapel Road at around 1am on October 12, 2017.
The 37-year-old’s girlfriend, Karolina Skoluda, 34, was thrown from the bike after Hussain hit a pedestrian near the Royal London Hospital.
DS José-Paulo Qureshi said: “This awful case highlights the massive danger of driving or riding after consuming alcohol.
“Hussain made a number of terrible decisions that night, which cost Karolina her life. It is only right that he will spend a significant time in prison as a result.”
You may also want to watch:
At the time of the collision, Hussain was riding in excess of 51mph in a 30mph zone while weaving in and out of traffic.
Karolina died in hospital two days later with her family, who had travelled from Poland, by her bedside.
- 1 The Queen lends her name to Royal London’s emergency Covid wards
- 2 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 3 Airbnb house party violence leaves police officer with broken finger
- 4 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 5 'We need laptops for lockdown children to learn from home’ Tower Hamlets mayor urges
- 6 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 8 Have you seen this 52-year-old man missing from Ilford?
- 9 How seaweed can help save the planet, east London inventor reveals
- 10 Surplus DLR land released at Bow for new housing to tackle homes shortage
Both the pedestrian and Hussain were taken to hospital though neither were seriously injured.
Hussain was found guilty at Inner London Crown Court on February 14 of causing death by careless driving while over the prescribed alcohol limit.
He was sentenced at the same court on Monday to five years in prison. He was also disqualified from driving for seven and a half years. His motorbike was confiscated.