Jailed: Bow landlord who raped women he met through advertising a room to rent
- Credit: Archant
A predatory landlord from Bow has been jailed for raping three women he met through advertising a spare room for rent.
Mamun Rashid, 30, of Jodrell Road, was sentenced to a total of 18 years on Friday for a serious of sex attacks on his victims who were aged between 19 and 29.
He had offered his victims his spare room for free in exchange for sex before attacking them when they turned him down.
Rashid was sentenced at Wood Green Crown Court after admitting five counts of rape, one count of attempted rape, one count of assault by penetration, one count of sexual assault, one count of actual bodily harm (ABH) and one count of threatening to kill at a previous hearing.
The 30-year-old was arrested after he raped and threatened to kill his youngest victim when she arranged to view a flat he had advertised on SpareRoom.com on May 8 last year.
You may also want to watch:
His victim screamed throughout her ordeal and after he let her go she fled to a friend’s house and called the police.
He was arrested the following day and after detectives traced 3,000 women via the website who had made contact with him two more victims age 22 and 29 came forward.
- 1 'Grenfell Tower'-type cladding still not removed from New Providence Wharf after 3 years
- 2 Cops break Covid-19 rules to have haircuts at Bethnal Green police station
- 3 Whitechapel murder victim named as teenager charged with killing
- 4 Murder arrest after woman stabbed to death in Whitechapel this morning
- 5 Covid hero who did charity walk in Bow aged 100 now has vaccine
- 6 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 9 Lovely Day for Aldgate School picked to sing on Billy Ocean's new single
- 10 Police e-fit expert retiring after 15 years at Bethnal Green
He was subsequently charged with attacking them too.
Det Con Stav Georgiou-Moran, investigating officer, said: “Rashid’s vicious sexual assaults of these three women were appalling and left them with not only physical injuries but also psychological trauma.
“The women have shown great courage and bravery in giving evidence against Rashid, ensuring that he is made to answer for his actions.
“I want to encourage any person who has been the victim of sexual assault to tell those close to you and inform the police.”
Matt Hutchinson, SpareRoom’s communications director, added: “We’re appalled by these incidents, and our thoughts go out to the victims. The safety of our users is SpareRoom’s top priority, and we’ve done everything we can to co-operate fully with the police, to help them bring this case to trial and ensure a conviction.”
If you’ve been a victim of Mamun Rashid, please contact the sexual offences investigation team on 020 8733 5999 quoting Operation Montville or call police on 101.