Jailed: Pair who killed 60-year-old in his Bow Common flat after he refused to rob drug dealer

Patrick Dunn, left, and Peter Tutton were sentenced to 18 years’ imprisonment. Picture credit: Metro

Patrick Dunn, left, and Peter Tutton were sentenced to 18 years imprisonment. Picture credit: Metropolitan Police - Credit: Metropolitan Police

Two men have been jailed for killing a 60-year-old man in his Bow Common home after he refused to help them rob a drug dealer.

Keith Sinclair was stabbed to death in his home. Picture credit: Metropolitan Police

Keith Sinclair was stabbed to death in his home. Picture credit: Metropolitan Police - Credit: Metropolitan Police

Patrick Dunn, 25, and 19-year-old Peter Tutton, both of no fixed address, fatally stabbed Keith Sinclair and attacked his friend after a heated argument in his flat in Riemann Court, Tower Hamlets, late on April 23.

The pair were today sentenced to 18 years in prison, having been found guilty of manslaughter and wounding with intent at the Old Bailey last month.

The court heard the pair appeared to be drunk and were carrying beer and other alcoholic drinks when they arrived at Keith’s home at about 10.50pm.

Both men continued to drink and demanded the 60-year-old join them in robbing a drug dealer with whom they were feuding.

They threatened to stab his friend, 55, if he did not help them. Dunn spat on Keith after he refused, leading to a fierce argument where he tried to eject the pair from his flat.

A struggle ensued and Keith was bundled into the hall by Tutton. There he was knifed to death.

Most Read

The pair made for Keith’s friend; Dunn hitting him over the head with a bottle and breaking his arm with a chair.

Keith’s friend fell on a nearby sofa and was stabbed in the leg by Tutton, still armed with his knife.

Tutton and Dunn then ran from the flat, leaving the friend to limp down into the street and cry for help.

Neighbours heard his calls and called 999.

Police, the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance attended and pronounced Keith dead at the scene.

A post-mortem exam found he had three stab wounds to the centre of his chest, two by his collarbone – just one of these could have been fatal.

His friend was taken to hospital and underwent surgery on his arm.

Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command launched an immediate investigation, which tracked down Dunn and Tutton through witness testimony, CCTV and forensic evidence.

Dunn was arrested four days after the assault, April 27, and charged the following day with murder and grievous bodily harm.

Tutton, meanwhile, was arrested on May 2 and charged the next day.

Police also arrested a 41-year-old woman on April 27 on suspicion of murder, who was later released with no further action.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter