Jailed: Serial rapist who preyed on East End women as old as 75
- Credit: Archant
A serial rapist who spent six months preying on East End women as old as 75 has been locked up for life.
Cops believe more of his victims may have remained silent and today pleaded with any other women he targeted to come forward.
Liban Abdi, 28, was told at Snaresbrook Crown Court today told he would serve a minimum 24 years of his life sentence.
He had been convicted in February of four rapes, two sexual assaults and two assaults in Poplar and Bethnal Green between November 2014 and April last year.
Det Const Tim Duffin said: “Abdi targeted lone women and put them through a terrible ordeal.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to praise their bravery in coming forward and continued support throughout the investigation. It is thanks to them that this dangerous man is in prison.
“It is possible that there may be other women who were attacked by Abdi who are yet to contact police. I would ask them to call us so that we can help in any way possible.”
- 1 Driver arrested after police 'drugs patrol' stops car in Whitechapel
- 2 Teenager found dead in Victoria Park
- 3 Two in five people in Tower Hamlets may have had Covid-19
- 4 Leyton Orient sign Dan Kemp on a permanent deal from West Ham United
- 5 Drug and alcohol abuse by Tower Hamlets parents and children soars
- 6 'Laptop bonanza' for schoolchildren in Poplar to help survive lockdown gloom
- 7 'I can save the planet with my seaweed' scientist in east London claims
- 8 Students in rent strike over Queen Mary's campus staying open during Covid emergency
- 9 Post deliveries in east London hit by Covid crisis among Royal Mail staff
- 10 Gun seized after woman tells police she was threatened in Whitechapel
The first attack happened in broad daylight on November 29, 2014, at 9am when Abdi attacked a 75-year-old woman in Ming Street, Poplar.
He rummaged through her pockets before sexually assaulting her and punching her to the ground, police said.
Over the next few months Abdi – who lived in Woodstock Terrace, Poplar – targeted four women aged 19, 21, 25 and 29. One of his attacks took place in the underpass by Blackwall DLR; another was an area of wasteland near Duff Street, Poplar.
Anyone who believes they are one of Abdi’s victims is asked to call police on 101.