Jailed: Serial rapist who preyed on East End women as old as 75
- Credit: Archant
A serial rapist who spent six months preying on East End women as old as 75 has been locked up for life.
Cops believe more of his victims may have remained silent and today pleaded with any other women he targeted to come forward.
Liban Abdi, 28, was told at Snaresbrook Crown Court today told he would serve a minimum 24 years of his life sentence.
He had been convicted in February of four rapes, two sexual assaults and two assaults in Poplar and Bethnal Green between November 2014 and April last year.
Det Const Tim Duffin said: “Abdi targeted lone women and put them through a terrible ordeal.
“I would like to praise their bravery in coming forward and continued support throughout the investigation. It is thanks to them that this dangerous man is in prison.
“It is possible that there may be other women who were attacked by Abdi who are yet to contact police. I would ask them to call us so that we can help in any way possible.”
- 1 Bow man charged with drugs supply and criminal property offences
- 2 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 3 Jailed: Man who robbed and blackmailed men he met on Grindr
- 4 Councillor says he 'hopes to lose' next election
- 5 Ranjith Kankanamalage death: Man charged with murder
- 6 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 7 Jailed: Rapist who repeatedly attacked woman in her own home
- 8 Lib Dem candidate for Tower Hamlets mayor announced
- 9 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 10 Olympian burglary: Men with links to Plaistow and Isle of Dogs wanted
The first attack happened in broad daylight on November 29, 2014, at 9am when Abdi attacked a 75-year-old woman in Ming Street, Poplar.
He rummaged through her pockets before sexually assaulting her and punching her to the ground, police said.
Over the next few months Abdi – who lived in Woodstock Terrace, Poplar – targeted four women aged 19, 21, 25 and 29. One of his attacks took place in the underpass by Blackwall DLR; another was an area of wasteland near Duff Street, Poplar.
Anyone who believes they are one of Abdi’s victims is asked to call police on 101.