Jailed: Serial rapist who preyed on East End women as old as 75
- Credit: Archant
A serial rapist who spent six months preying on East End women as old as 75 has been locked up for life.
Cops believe more of his victims may have remained silent and today pleaded with any other women he targeted to come forward.
Liban Abdi, 28, was told at Snaresbrook Crown Court today told he would serve a minimum 24 years of his life sentence.
He had been convicted in February of four rapes, two sexual assaults and two assaults in Poplar and Bethnal Green between November 2014 and April last year.
Det Const Tim Duffin said: “Abdi targeted lone women and put them through a terrible ordeal.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to praise their bravery in coming forward and continued support throughout the investigation. It is thanks to them that this dangerous man is in prison.
“It is possible that there may be other women who were attacked by Abdi who are yet to contact police. I would ask them to call us so that we can help in any way possible.”
- 1 Police officer sacked after criminal conviction
- 2 Man who stabbed teen at Crossharbour station found guilty of murder
- 3 Man in 30s dies after Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 4 Police patrols to increase after fatal Isle of Dogs stabbing
- 5 Concern growing for man last seen at Bow Road station
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 7 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 8 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 9 Man found with stab injuries in Stepney
- 10 Jailed: Tower Hamlets man who tried to rape another man
The first attack happened in broad daylight on November 29, 2014, at 9am when Abdi attacked a 75-year-old woman in Ming Street, Poplar.
He rummaged through her pockets before sexually assaulting her and punching her to the ground, police said.
Over the next few months Abdi – who lived in Woodstock Terrace, Poplar – targeted four women aged 19, 21, 25 and 29. One of his attacks took place in the underpass by Blackwall DLR; another was an area of wasteland near Duff Street, Poplar.
Anyone who believes they are one of Abdi’s victims is asked to call police on 101.